Raichlen's Project Smoke/Fire

Dave Ontario

What a fantastic site for learning BBQ and smoking! There's amazing lessons here for all levels from beginners to advanced.
If you haven't yet already, be sure to check out his website to watch dozens of streaming episodes of Project Smoke and Project Fire!
The site lists all the recipes from each episode with links to the recipe from his book "The Barbecue Bible".

Do you have a favorite episode or recipe? It would be interesting to get some discussion going in this thread.

In many episodes he's cooking on a Weber. Maybe we can put a list together of those episodes at some point (if it's not already been done).

I am sure many here have seen all his shows. I have seen a few. Was not a big fan for a while. I am starting to warm up to the format. It takes a bit of work and knowledge to see the show for what it provides. There is a lot that is added to make a tv show. So much staging and a bit of showmanship is needed to make it perform. A bit of bbq knowledge helps see what is going on and get the most out of what they are trying to give.
Saturday was the triple shoulder on show. Pork, lamb, beef clod. Yes they looked good.

Last edited:
If you have an Ollie's near you, I picked up the Project Fire book last week for $5. Well worth it - had the Project Smoke book already.
I find his books to be excellent but have never seen any of his shows.

I enjoy his shows. I've watched since his BBQ University specials (before the series) on PBS years ago, and have definitely learned from them. He's not the most comfortable in front of the camera. His dialog delivery can be a little stilted. Still a good watch. I know the sponsors provide all the grills and smokers, but it just seems weird to me that for every show whatever he's cooking on looks brand new. C'mon use it at least a few times before you swap it out. ;)

I used to watch him when my oldest boy was born, he loved his calming voice. Pretty funny he’s 9 now and still remembers us watching that show.
He’s good but with a team like he has it isn’t really for me anymore. I prefer Malcom Reed these days.

I will watch Raichlen, but he's not really about making great barbecue, he's more about impressing your guests at your dinner party with some exotic dish that may or may not be real barbecue. And sourcing the ingredients for what he prepares on air, could be extremely difficult.

Like Bruno, there's several barbecue folks I follow on YouTube, that are more about barbecue than Raichen.

I enjoy his shows. I've watched since his BBQ University specials (before the series) on PBS years ago, and have definitely learned from them. He's not the most comfortable in front of the camera. His dialog delivery can be a little stilted. Still a good watch. I know the sponsors provide all the grills and smokers, but it just seems weird to me that for every show whatever he's cooking on looks brand new. C'mon use it at least a few times before you swap it out. ;)
or maybe.....after all these years of cleaning up after him, his team has got real good at it. lol

OK Tim, I just watched it. What did he do or not do that you didn't like?
I didn't mind the method, I've cooked steaks over red hot logs before.
Placing a cold cast iron pan directly over a rip roaring fire can cause thermal shock and they can break. Better to bring the temp up mildly.
And that whole hellfire sauce seems like a way to ruin a perfectly good cooked steak. The jalapenos are gonna kick you right in the mouth before you enjoy the taste of the steak.

Thanks!!

You know those peppers would get no where near my mouth. lol

This thread had me looking up a few things. I have years of his shows on VHS tapes. Started transferring them to CD's but never got around to finishing them.

His voice and wooden delivery remind me of the hippy teacher, David Van Driessen, from Beavis and Butthead.

250px-VanDriessen.jpg

Back