rack of lamb

Peter Gallagher

TVWBB Guru
One of my favorite lamb recipes is the out of the little book you get with a Weber kettle. There's also a version in the Keller Ad Hoc book which is essentially the same thing. The prep of the panko is a bit different, other than that, it's true to form. We also made a great salad which included tomatoes that were cooked for 7 hours on the WSM with very light apple wood at 200 degrees:

6915068254_834c0cf05e_z.jpg

We had this nice rack of lamb that was locally raised:

6915068418_bbe08ff5de_z.jpg

I was watching the golf for most of the day so I was lazy, and did it on the Weber gas grill.

7061150845_95423e5e11_z.jpg

We had Boone Tavern Rolls, and the Au Gratins from the Julia Child book. The salad was a slight variation from the Keller book, which included those tomatoes, lardens from our last bacon cook, anda yummy buttermilk blue cheese dressing made from local blue cheese and a garlic confit aioli -

7061150369_b11c144421_z.jpg

Best lamb ive seen! Fantastic!
I agree, that is the best lamb EVER!

Please, post the panko recipe, and some details of the cook. (time, temps) I would LOVE to duplicate that!! That looks fabulous!!

Peter you have a real eye for food photo's... I have never been much on lamb but you make it look super!!

Originally posted by michele p:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Best lamb ive seen! Fantastic!
I agree, that is the best lamb EVER!

Please, post the panko recipe, and some details of the cook. (time, temps) I would LOVE to duplicate that!! That looks fabulous!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the feedback..
I’ve been making this recipe for years. I first saw it several years ago in the little Weber cookbook that comes with the grills. There’s also an adaptation in the Ad Hoc Cookbook by Keller. Maybe it’s a classic way of preparing a lamb? One of our real cooks may be able to answer that.

Here’s a adaptation of Kellers & Webers:

Rack of lamb
Salt & Pepper
Canola Oil
1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
3 T Honey
6 T unsalted butter – room temperature
1 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
3 T flat leaf parsley
1 T Fresh Rosemary
6 Cloves Garlic Confit (or roasted garlic or just minced garlic –they all work)– Recipe Below for the confit:

Garlic Confit Recipe
1 or 2 heads of garlic peeled with root ends removed
Canola Oil

Place all of the garlic cloves in a small sauce pan and cover with an inch of canola oil. Cook for about 40 min on low, small bubbles should slowly rise to the surface Stir every 5 minutes. When the garlic is done, it should be soft and be able to be pierced with a toothpick. The oil is great to use for an aioli
I did the lamb on the gaser this time, but it works well on a kettle with the racks setup for indirect. For gas set to indirect medium, or around 375-400 degrees
Mix the honey and mustard

Score the fat on the lamb and hit it with a little salt and pepper. Sear the fat side over the fire. You sort have to pay attention as this goes process goes pretty fast, and if you don’t watch it the fat can, as Bob Marley would say, Catch A Fire. This will take less than 5 minutes. Haul it back in, and spread the honey / mustard on the rack. It works as the grout that the panko uses to stick to.

Add the butter, parsley, garlic and rosemary to a food processor and mix. It works better if the butter is room temperature. Transfer to a bowl and add the panko. Mix lightly, but thoroughly. Cover the rack with the panko mix.

Pop it back on the grill. If you use a gas grill make sure to place it in the middle, but not totally. If you place it on the one horizontal grate in the middle, it messes with the breading. It works better to leave it just north or just south of the grate. Flip once. Be very gentle, as you want to minimize the amount of panko you lose during the flip. The cooking time after returning it to the fire is between 30 and 40 minutes depending on the size of the rack. The one we had this time was big, so it took on long side, about 40 minutes– normally you are flirting with disaster going past 35 minutes. You really don’t want to go over 130 degrees – Pull it off, and let sit covered for about 15-20 minutes before serving.

That lamb looks really great. Cooked to just the right doneness.

I have a couple of racks from Sams in my fridge to cook tonight on the kettle. I hope they turn out as well.

Fantastic plate! I make a lot of smoked/roasted/dried tomatoes at the end of the season, and never thought to use them in a salad. Thanks for the idea.

I cooked mine on the kettle, indirect, temp about 350 to 400 until lamb was at about 125. Then I spread the coals and cooked direct until it got browned.

I used two small pieces of cherry wood. It gave it a hint of smoke flavor.

It was very tender. I think the slow, indirect cook helped that. Served with pinto beans and corn bought fresh from local farms.

1341109997.jpg

Back