Quoted $470 for exterior NG hookup

Joshua L

A neighbor was giving away a natural gas grill (not a Weber) that was in great shape. Even though I have no exterior NG hookup, I wheeled it home and started calling plumbers. The first plumber quoted $470.

I have to think about this one. That's a lot of propane refills...

That could either be highway robbery or about right depending on what's involved. To kinda figure it out run to a hardware center and price out the material(s) needed. How much and what type of pipe, couplings and valves which will help you determine at least from a material standpoint what's involved in the hookup. Heck doing it yourself unless you're REALLY frightened of working with the gas is not at all hard or rocket science. Even if you don't have a pipe threader. You can get away with pre-made sections of pipe or you could use the new type of CSST tubing and fittings as I did when I had to run a new over sized gas line to my 200k BTU tankless water heater. The fittings a re a little expensive but it's a little easier to work with than black iron pipe. Just be sure to use the correct PTFE tape or dope for the application. I had mine done when I had the house remodeled. Not because I could not do it but the contractor threw it in for free so it was a no brainer for me.

Is it about the same for tapping into a propane line? I know the line is exposed where it enters the house. And I have a good friend who is a retired plumber.

Another plumber came this morning and quoted $2,500. That's a lifetime supply of propane. This NG grill is going on CL today.

Probably your best option. Too bad it wasn't a Weber. You could have found an LP manifold and swapped it in.

Well what brand is it? Many brands convert VERY easily unlike Weber grills that don't truly support conversion. Most quality brands convert simply with a "hood" type of orifice

It's a Jenn-Air grill, which is a Nexgrill sold by Lowes. Not worth the time, effort and cost to convert it.

I put the grill on CL for free and in less than an hour, a young man with a beard and ponytail rolled it home.

I had an estimate for an outside hookup, all that was required was a hole through the kitchen wall in back of the gas stove, a tee fitting an elbow and a ten inch piece of pipe along with a quick connect fitting The plumber wanted $310 for the 45 minute job. I did it myself for under $40.

Back