Quick Tri-Tip Question

R L Bagwell

TVWBB Pro
Tomorrow I'm planning to do an almost 4-Lb Tri-Tip roast with a Santa Maria-style rub on my gasser (rotisserie; indirect heat) at 325º until it reaches an internal temp of about 145º. Can anyone advise about how long I might expect this to take - I've never gassed one before, only previous experience is direct heat over charcoal. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Rooster

Tomorrow I'm planning to do an almost 4-Lb Tri-Tip roast with a Santa Maria-style rub on my gasser (rotisserie; indirect heat) at 325º until it reaches an internal temp of about 145º. Can anyone advise about how long I might expect this to take - I've never gassed one before, only previous experience is direct heat over charcoal. Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

Rooster

If is were me, I would use your 22.5 OTG but use indirect heat. That has always worked for me on my Performer. Wife did a tritip from costco last week in the oven and it did not turn out well. It always comes out great on the Performer with indirect heat. We have a second tritip in freezer and I have already told her that I will cook it in the Performer. Just my two cents.
Bob

I've done tri tip on the rotis with the kettle, semi-direct heat. I think it took about 45 minutes and it came out great. My next tri tip cook will be done in the same manner.

Thanks George - I had hoped to serve it at 5:30, just wondered about what time to put it on. Might as well just start around noon or so and wrap when done and place in the cooler. Bob, as I said, I've done them on my OTG in the past, but this time I decided to try it out on my gas rotisserie more or less to satisfy my curiosity as to the results.

Regards,

Rooster

Regards,

Rooster

Personally I would probably pull it at a lower temp than 145 especially since you are cooking it at a pretty high temp you are going to have a lot of carry over cooking. JMO.

I have never done one on a gasser or a rotisserie so I am interested in hearing how it turns out.

FYI. I just cooked my first ever tri-tip Friday night. Pulled at 135 (actually, thickest part was 137 per my Thermapen), and I overcooked it. I have some fussy meat eaters in the house, and medium rare is frowned upon. I was shooting for medium and ended up barely with any pink.

This was a two-lb'er, however, but it cooked fast. I was using my Weber Performer, and first seared it over direct heat. Followed by indirect across the grill.

That's one of the benefits and pitfalls of a tritip. It's irregular shape makes it difficult to cook it evenly throughout. If you want it evenly cooked you could try reverse sear at 225,

I'm with Russell. Indirect/reverse sear. Last week I cooked to 120 in thinkest part and then did a quick sear amd it came out amazing.

Tri-tip does not take long at all to cook, so be careful. I do mine on a kettle, indirect with a chunk of cherry, reverse sear, pull at 125-130 tops. Leave rest for 15 minutes or so.

Back