Quick Minion Method Poll.

Originally posted by Mike David P:
I've been filling the ring and pulling out enough to fill the chimney and lighting with 2 starter cubes. Have not had any trouble on long smokes but have had some trouble trying to keep temps low enough. May try 1/2 chimney next time.

Mike, using water in the pan?

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
I've been filling the ring and pulling out enough to fill the chimney and lighting with 2 starter cubes. Have not had any trouble on long smokes but have had some trouble trying to keep temps low enough. May try 1/2 chimney next time.

Mike, using water in the pan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I am Dave. And I fill that puppy up. I would guess my OAT's have been 60 to 80* so far.

Guess I have a hard time relating to issues keeping temps under control since mine runs so low.

Anyways, if you want to stick with the chimney you could try just half of one lit. For long overnight smokes though there's no better way to get it going than to use the weedburning torch. For one thing, you can pile your charcoal and wood up as high as the pan and never have to rearrange it, but the main thing is how much more efficient it is and how you get clean smoke much quicker.

All cookers are different in how much air they allow to the fire. Friend of mine was telling me how he has been using his torch to light his new big bullet for less than thirty seconds if I recall. Heck, I light just the middle for longer than that and then I hit each zone between the vents for 20 or 30 seconds. Like I said though, every cooker is different. Some are tight as a drum and some leak like a sieve. Wish mine was somewhere in the middle sometimes.

Thanks for posting this topic Jeff. Sometimes the question just has to be stated from a different perspective for it to click...in my mind anyway.

Yeah, I agree. I know this question has been asked and answered no doubt dozens of times in this forum. I get to thinking about my Q'ing and learning more and it just struck me that I probably use too much lit fuel from the start. I have this "fear" of using too little lit fuel and the fire burning out with unlit briquettes remaining and my food being ruined, so I thought I'd ask this question.

Seems I got some good responses which makes me more confident the next time I use a fraction of the lit coals I normally use that my Q will end up edible.
icon_biggrin.gif

On my 22.5 WSM using the factory ring, I use a full load with a half chimney lit on top.

When I use my 12 inch ring for shorter cooks, I use a full ring with 1/3 of a chimney lit.

To light, I use 2 loosely wadded paper towels doused with some veggy oil. Sit the chimney on top of the towels after lighting.

I can cook at anywhere from 220 to 340 or so using this method and my guru. If I were to have to manually open and close the dampers, it would be far more difficult. BTW, I always cook with the top vent wide open.

Large ring gives me at least 16 hours consistant, and the smaller ring gives me about 8 hours before it starts to fall off. I only use Kingsford Blue for heat, and large chunks for smoke.

The WSM 22.5 is a very forgiving smoker compared to other much cheaper made smokers. Well worth the price difference just in ease of use, nevermind the quality of the product and the warranty. Best move that I ever made. Been cooking on a Bandera for more than a decade, and although I got really good with it, it was a genuine PITA to use for long cooks. I use a foiled water pan with a 16 inch foiled clay saucer. Recovery time from taking the lid off is almost instantaneous.

Weed burner Minion Method here...
icon_wink.gif
I fill the ring with whatever amount of coals I'll need for the smoke then hit the top with my weed burner...never fails!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have only done 3 long cooks so far on my 22.5 WSM... full ring of kingsford blue bag with large coffee can in middle empty then pulled can and filled with 3/4 + chimney of hot ones, worked for me. I do use icqpitmaster temp controller. 220 +- temp. works great.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Basically, if you don't have a weed burning torch I'd just use the current owner's manual method.

I'll hit it more with the weedburning torch if needed. For a long cook and slow ramp up to temp I prefer just using the torch.

I have to admit, I have really no idea what this means. Can somebody please give me the 30 second summary of weed burning torches and how it relates to the MM? Seems that several of ya'll are familiar with this but this is the first time I've heard of it.
icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

Originally posted by Jeff Bryson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Basically, if you don't have a weed burning torch I'd just use the current owner's manual method.

I'll hit it more with the weedburning torch if needed. For a long cook and slow ramp up to temp I prefer just using the torch.

I have to admit, I have really no idea what this means. Can somebody please give me the 30 second summary of weed burning torches and how it relates to the MM? Seems that several of ya'll are familiar with this but this is the first time I've heard of it.
icon_confused.gif

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff, the first time Jim Minion lit his new bullet he was in a hurry and so he simply lit the top of his charcoal ring with a few lit briqs from a chimney. Now though many of us, reportedly Jim as well, have found that using a weed burning torch or even starter cubes mixed into the top layer works even better. If your cooker runs hot or you don't use water, no worries. You still can catch your temps as they come up by simply lighting less initially and getting the cooker set up and meat on quicker.

I find it's more efficient and easier to get good smoke faster. If you use the torch you don't have to do any rearranging, so for long cooks you can pile the charcoal and wood as high as possible and simply light and load. I light the middle of the ring and the three zones between the vents, with three wood chunks partially exposed at the top of the pile in front of the vents. Works great for me with my cooker using water, whether using the torch or four starter cubes. The weedburning torches are pretty cheap and I got mine with the igniter for only about $30 from Harbor Freight Tools.

Dave, now THAT sounds cool.
icon_cool.gif

You Guru's are so far ahead of us NewB's.

Thanks for the info!

Happy Holidays to everybody!

Originally posted by Jeff Bryson:
You Guru's are so far ahead of us NewB's.

Oh, I only wish it were so, Jeff. I find I can learn from anyone and try to keep an open mind for better ways to do things. Stay safe and happy holidays to you as well.

Back