Quick Minion Method Poll.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
How many lit coals do YOU start with?

I've tried 1/2 chimney, full chimney, and something in between. The other day I heard a suggestion to use only about 10 to 15 briquettes which seemed a bit low to me. But I'm also a NewB, so what do I know???
icon_biggrin.gif

I did try to start with just a few once but had a difficult time getting them to light with my chimney. I think the answer to that is to flip the chimney over so the "shallow" end faces up and put in more newspaper.

Jeff - something that may help when lighting only a few coals for a Minion method start is to use 2-3 sheets of paper towels with some cooking oil or jelled alcohol fuel as is used for warming/chafing serving dishes.

I will usually take 3 sheets of paper towels, wadding up one end until it is about the size of a golf ball, then cover the top of an open bottle of vegetable oil with it, and turn it over carefully, so as not to spill oil. Then, I keep wadding the paper towel ball and covering the top of the oil bottle, and add a little more oil each time for a total of 6-7 times. When you are finished, the ball should be about the size of a tennis ball and it will light as many or as few briquettes as you need.

As a bonus, this method leaves barely any ash residue unlike newspaper does.

As a bonus, this method leaves barely any ash residue unlike newspaper does.

Thanks, that's good to know. I am currently lighting on my gas grill and the grill itself is getting filled with newspaper ash which is NOT making my wife a happy camper.
icon_eek.gif

I keep saying I'll clean it out but hopefully I haven't messed it up permanently.

Oh, yes, one other thing I was wondering about.

Is there a typical number of lit coals that are needed in a 22.5 to get up to 225 degrees? In other words, if I use as few as 10 lit coals (for example) is there any chance that the temps will not get up that high?

Just curious what others have found.

I have an 18.5, and typically I use about 20 lit coals - all vents open - and it gets up to temp in a matter of only a few minutes 5, maybe 10 max. Granted, I live in Florida, so I'm not usually fighting cold, and I light the coals and smoke in a fairly wind protected area.

Also, I just use 2 pages of twisted up newspaper and used in the standard loading fashion, and it works every time for me, although per the usual, YMMV. This seems to be the standard for me, however.

I just use one of those wax/sawdust starters under a half or 3/4 chimney of lump. By the time it gets fully underway and I'm ready to dump it in the Minion hole it's usually down to about 1/4 of a chimney.

The fire is usually very slow to come up to temp doing it this way but it gives me a wide window to catch it on the way up. It also allows me to put the meat in right away and keep it below about 120 or so as long as possible (smoke ring).

Russ

From what I understand, Jim Minion doesn't use a chimney anymore and I don't either. Basically, if you don't have a weed burning torch I'd just use the current owner's manual method.

If wanting a quick start I'll use four partially buried starter cubes; one in the middle and one in between each vent. I'll hit it more with the weedburning torch if needed. For a long cook and slow ramp up to temp I prefer just using the torch. Same zones lit and just less time. Wood chunks go in between the lit zones in front of each vent, mostly buried.

I use the paper towel/oil method but only use one or two pieces, simply wad it a little and drizzle on a little oil, then stick it under the chimney.

Low/slow cooks of 250-275 (I'm not that interested in cooking at 225?) I use ~12 briquettes; for high heat cooks I use ~24; for low come-up cooks like bacon 4 or 5. I always Minion. I never use the standard method for anything.

The amount of oxygen to the coals once the meat and lid is on is ultimately what determines the cooker temp, not the amount of lit coals added to the top of relatively cold pile of charcoal.
I'm not with you here.

The amount of oxygen to the LIT coals is what determines how those coals will burn. The number of those lit coals - plus the oxygen along with the proximity of those lit coals to the unlit coals - will determine speed of the rise.

Jeff - 10 coals should be plenty for a good Minion start. It is always easier to catch temps on the way up and hold them than it is to try and get a very high temp under control.

I also have started doing what Dave does, that is I leave a shallow depression in the center of a ring of briquettes, light 3-4 starter cubes and then put a couple of briquettes over the cubes once they are lit, and I don't use a weed torch. I still use my chimney when lighting only a few briquettes for a Minion start in my kettle.

I also turned the cone shaped basket upside down in my chimney to get the coals closer to either a wax cube or using the paper towel & oil method.

I always minion and use a paper towel and cooking oil. No mess and it gives me a way to get rid of my used fryer oil.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I never use the standard method for anything.

Agree. I've been wanting faster chicken cooks so I tried fully engaged chimneys for the last time, yesterday. only had one layer of charcoal in the ring. Poured on two fully engaged chimneys, full to the handle top. The temp came up quick but then dropped back down to "normal" and the chicken still took as long as lighting the top with my torch and/or starter cubes! Only amount of water used til very end was three quart tea kettle's worth of boiling. Weather was just fine but I was cooking (4) four pound butterflied broilers.

Yes, my bullet is tight as a drum...too tight if you ask me. A friend told me I needed to take the middle section and kick it around the yard a bit.
icon_redface.gif

I cook a lot with cast iron and anyone who ever has knows, after finished cooking and cleaning, you always wipe down with oil using a clean paper towel. Save those oily paper towels in a Walmart sack and you'll have plenty to start a chimney.

Scott

I've been filling the ring and pulling out enough to fill the chimney and lighting with 2 starter cubes. Have not had any trouble on long smokes but have had some trouble trying to keep temps low enough. May try 1/2 chimney next time.

Mike, even a half a chimney is a lot if you're looking for a temp around 250 or so. I use about 15 lit if I'm aiming for 250 and 30 If I'm cooking at 325-350. If cooking on the lower end, I'll start with vents wide open and then close all 3 down to about 10% when I'm 25 degrees short of my desired temp.

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Mike, even a half a chimney is a lot if you're looking for a temp around 250 or so. I use about 15 lit if I'm aiming for 250 and 30 If I'm cooking at 325-350. If cooking on the lower end, I'll start with vents wide open and then close all 3 down to about 10% when I'm 25 degrees short of my desired temp.

Thanks Jerry. This may be the missing link for better brisket that I have been looking for. Only 7 smokes in and only 2 briskets. I've been having to keep 2 vents almost totally closed and one about 1/4 to 1/2 during the cook.

Originally posted by Jerry P.:

Great post Jerry. Thanks. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Good information!

I use 20 coals with the vents at 30% to start as I know I'll be closing the vents a bit later. It appears we have different starts but similar results.
It's pretty much 1.5 hrs./lb. unless it rains. My inlaws will be here this weekend and I'll be cooking in the garage due to the forcast.

Originally posted by Jeff Bryson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:

Great post Jerry. Thanks. This is exactly the type of response I was looking for. Good information! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for posting this topic Jeff. Sometimes the question just has to be stated from a different perspective for it to click...in my mind anyway.

Jeff,

The number of coals I use to start the MM depends on factors of heat wanted and ambient weather conditions. Assuming no wind and at least moderate temps outside I go with 13-15 coals max. It seems oxymoronic, but those few coals on a MM stack will keep a temp going for a long time.

As for lighting the 13-15 coals, I have a basic home-style brick broken into 2/3 and 1/3. I stand the 2/3 on end, standing tall, and put a weber lighter cube on top, light the cube, and, turning the chimney upside down, put the coals in the now top, put it over the brick and cube, and all is well in a few minutes. It works like a charm every time. Good luck

Back