Quick Help with a new wsm and a receipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all. Well, it has actually been several weeks since I recieved my WSM but with moving into my new house, (and having to clear out the old house), I have been consumed and not able to fully read up on what I need to do.

In essense, I have the wsm, the chimmney, a double remote probe, a fork probe and rib rack.
I have not purchased Kingsford charchol, or any smoking wood, gloves (I can not locate any gloves via the internet), tongs, or any other absolutly essential add ons.

I have printed the page (from this web page) with what you need, but I am wondering if I absolutly need everything in the picture (I suspect not). BUT, I would like to know the following:

1.. Is there a quick, consise, all encompasing receipe for a turkey (not to hard to prepare etc (ie, without using fancy brines etc. tha I probably will not have time to learn and prepare (I am a Mr. Mom and time (before Thanksgiving is so very short))).. I am invited to a Turkey thanksgiving, but I thought (if I could pull it off), it would be neat to bring over a real small turkey (5 or 10 lbs) cooked in a WSM to let them all experience what you all have tasted.

2. What additional (absolutly necessary) add ons would you all suggest? Given that I know I need charchol, and I have to research the Minion method (that I saw in this web page somewhere). But, do I need gloves, water jug etc to quickly (and with not much experience) quickly jump into this wonderful world of cooking?

3. It is now Tuesday night, and I do not know if I could pull it off, but if the basic requirements are not going to kill me, I would really like to try.

I think the group we are having dinner with would drop their jaws when they saw me bring in a WSM smoked Turkey! I might even be invited next year...or better yet, they might invite themselves to my house!

4. Anyway, I know it is the 11 th hour, and I do not know how often this is monitored, but if you all do look at the fourm a lot, I shure would appreciate specific URL's (web pages) that I can look at, print and finally follow to success.

Thansk ever so much if you can help, and if not, thanks and I am sorry for hitting you all with a ton, in such a short time. See ya... Bob

I would start of using Chris Allinghams method for cooking a turkey . If you have the time the basic brine works extremely well. This being your first big bird I would highly recommend brinning
it will help to cover up a temp regulation learning curve. Welcome and good luck!

This is not an impossible task, and you have most everything you need.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Go to the store and buy a self-basted 10-12 pound turkey. Look for "injected with a ??% solution of..." on the label. Defrost it in water in the kitchen sink per the label instructions.
<LI>Get 20 pounds of Kingsford.
<LI>Get some smoke wood. A fruit wood like apple or cherry would be good, or oak. All you need are about 3 medium-sized dry chunks.
<LI>Buy or make a rub to apply to the turkey. If you want to make a rub, you'll find several good recipes in the Recipes Forum here on the BB.

[/list]
Line the water pan with foil. Fire-up a full chimney of Kingsford. When hot, spread in the charcoal chamber. Measure another chimney of Kingsford and pour these unlit coals over the hot ones.
Remove giblets from inside the turkey cavity and neck, rinse thoroughly inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Apply a very thin coat of olive oil or vegetable oil, the sprinkle with the rub.
When the coals are good and hot, assemble the cooker. Put the water pan in place, but leave it empty. Put the rubbed turkey on the top cooking grate, back side down. Put the Polder in the deepest part of the breast. Add the dry smoke wood to the coals.

Set the bottom vents to 50% open and the top vent fully open. Run the cooker at 325-350*F, adjusting the bottom vents as necessary, until the breast is 160-165*F and thigh is 170-175*F. Should take 3 hours or so to cook.

Remove from the cooker and cover loosely for 15-20 minutes before carving. Slice while warm, arrange on a platter, cover and refrigerate. Take to friend's house, spritz with some apple juice or chicken broth, reheat in oven covered with foil, and enjoy.

Robert, there's your own personal turkey topic! Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy your new WSM.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. When I originally posted this reply, I wrote, "Go to the store and buy a fresh (unfrozen) self-basted turkey." I went to the store looking for one, but couldn't find one. I checked several manufacturer's websites, and couldn't find one. It appears that no one makes a fresh, self-basting turkey, only frozen self-basting.

Doug,
I heartily agree on all points. About 3 yrs ago, I started brining my turkeys after seeing it done on Alton Brown's Good Eats program, and wouldn't have it any other way-- except maybe brined AND cooked in the WSM, which I will be doing day after tomorrow.

Robert-- It's not as hard as it sounds. I recommend preparing a flavor brine well in advance (like tonight) so you can have it chilled down to refrigerator temp before submerging the bird the night before the cook.
--
Doug /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Chris, that was a darn nice thing to do! You work like an animal keeping this website in tip-top shape, and then take the time to write a comprehensive response to Mr. Wagner in his hour of need. What a guy!

I just wanted to acknowledge you publicly for your generosity and helpfulness!

Good luck and good tidings to all this holiday season. And, to you, Mr. Wagner, best of luck with your turkey - I am sure it will astound and amaze!

George

You might want to look in a welding supply store or section of your Farm&Home for some welding gloves. Generally, they're $14 to $17 and worth every cent when you start juggling fire starters and hot racks.

Chris--You just summarized "The Turkey" that took me three days to gather up. Thanks for staying on top.

willg

I have a pair of Grilla Gloves and frankly they are just too pretty to be grabbing dirty cooking grids with. For that I just use a pair of cheap leather palmed work gloves that cost about 4 bucks at Lowes. By the way at this time of year many stores (especially hardware stores) have their BBQ stuff marked way down to make room for Christmas stuff. This seems to be the best time to buy any equipment you might need. In the spring all the prices will be back up. Good luck and have a Happy and safe Thanksgiving. Don

Thanks ever so much for your help and especially to Chris. That is great advice and I am going to try it. As I do not think I will have the time to make a rub, is this something I can buy at a supermarket? And, are there any good choices? Thanks once again for the help everyone...this is a great site.

Robert, rubs take no time to put together, and you're in luck today, because Stogie posted some poultry rub recipes in the Recipes section.

It shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to put a rub together. It's worth the few minutes.

Good luck and knock their socks off with your WSM turkey.

Robert, If you really can't find time to make up a rub, you might try McCormick's Montreal Chicken spice. It's available in most grocery stores and it's not to bad, but as Richard said, it only takes a few minutes to throw together something and it will probably be better because you can customize it to your own taste buds. Good Luck, Don

yes, i just printed the rub receipes off and will go to the store. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back