Questions on my 2004 Genesis Silver B Restoration

One other picture I will share is me using a heat gun on the wheels. They were very sun dried and more of a grey color than black. I researched what to do about this and one site recommended using a heat gun and so I tried it. Sure enough it returned back to black. I do not know if it will hold up long term but I didnt have too much to lose.

29540040567_c5a1467f31_z.jpg

Now Im waiting on bars and grates from RCBuyer. They should come tonight and I will post some completion photos.

Wow! Using a heat gun is an idea I have never heard of. I have used black trim restorer with some success as long as the wheels aren't too far gone. Usually when they are old they are also stuck. Sometimes can be freed up but often I have to give up. I appreciate you sharing something new. Now I have another Harbor Freight wish list item:rolleyes:!

As far as your Dave Santana/rcplanebuyer purchases, I am sure you will be very happy. Someday I would like to spring for a set of his grates. I have bought a number of sets of his 13 bar flavorizers, and the are first class. Judging by the pictures and bragging about the grates I am sure they are as well.

The heat gun is a well known method of restoring the exterior black trim on most automobiles. Just be careful not to melt the plastic.

As promised, here are some completion photos. Replaced parts: grates, bars, ignitor. Painted Parts: firebox, lid sides, frame, debris tray, debris tray holder, logo

43765340554_beff62d7af_z.jpg

For a 14 year old grill I am more than thrilled with how it turned out. It was alot of fun as well and I will never let me grill fall apart like I had before now that I have all of this love into it. The only parts I wish had turned out a little nicer are some of the plastic pieces. The side table and the main handle I just couldn't get as clean as I wanted

43574132445_bc82ca3b4f_z.jpg

43765339914_8592931d95_z.jpg

Decided to remove the weber logo on the wheels. They were just so ratty and sun worn. I didnt want to pay for new ones

43574131575_809eb8a422_z.jpg

44483494641_f7b104f006_z.jpg

43574130305_479f226e76_z.jpg

44483493651_d0b3464247_z.jpg

Yah, kinda like car tires. Sometimes they just look better without the sidewalls or white lettering showing.

That’s a beautiful grill. Great job! My favorite of the Silvers.

Now, why don’t you join the club and paint the kettle in the logo badge red? Just use red caliper paint. You can spray it into a small cup and then use an artist’s brush to apply.

That’s a beautiful grill. Great job! My favorite of the Silvers.

Now, why don’t you join the club and paint the kettle in the logo badge red? Just use red caliper paint. You can spray it into a small cup and then use an artist’s brush to apply.

haha. I didn't know that was a thing. Maybe a project for another day.

haha. I didn't know that was a thing. Maybe a project for another day.

Mike, that's Jon keeps finding ways to spend your money.

Buy some VHT red caliper paint to do the logo probably 7 bucks a can plus the artist brushes although I buy them from Walmart so another 5 or 6 bucks although I actually had some left over for a project I did with my daughter so for me that is free.

Then of course the Weber propane tank covers are a must at least for me once he posted them probably was personally responsible for doubling Weber's sales of that product so that was another 10 bucks I never thought of spending. :cool:

Great job by the way.

Last edited:

Back