Questions on 325f Cook

Alan F

TVWBB Pro
Can use some input on today's beef rib smoke.

Started with an almost full ring of new kb and used a full chimney of lit- I didn't use a full ring as it was only going 3 hours. There's no wind, am using an ique.

All is well and after 2 hrs of 325 the temp declines to 290 and remains at 295 with the ique fully blowing- even as I shook the ash off all the coals (a messy task I never do). The temp stays low for 30 minutes. When I take the ribs off to let them rest and I'm thinking the coals must not have the energy left to get back up to 325. As the ribs are resting the temp slowly begins to make its way up to 325 and mostly remains there.

4:30 325
6:15 325
6:30 293
7:00 295 racks come off
7:15 325 one rack back on
7:16 295
7:30 316
7:45 325 rack off

What caused the temp to dip midway through the cook? All I can think of is the coals near the vent the ique uses were burning low and it took 45m for the fire to minon its way around to other areas (I start with the coffee can method so you'd think this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm stumped. Will look for answers in the ashes later tonight.

Last edited:
Evaporation cooling effect due the cooler moisture being liberated from the meat ?
Just a wild guess...

Bob

No that can't be it.

Just checked the coals. The ring is still full. Coals closest to the ique vent burned the most there is lots of fuel left.

All I can think is that it took 30-45m for the center of the fire to spread around and get back up to temp. Kinda strange. It only happens with high heat cooks.

When I ran an iQ I would put my lit on the side of the ring opposite from where the iQ was attached. It seemed to work better. ...but I quit using it for the same reason you are finding: it drove me nuts and I found it less stressful to do it with just the vents. I am now naturally aspirated. :)

howistartafireforusewiththepitmasteriQ110_zps767a68e7.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try that next time. If the vent is at 3 o'clock the coffee can will be at 9 o'clock and the extra will be spread all around the top. Thanks.

Other may have different opinions but if I want temps over 300, I spread the chimney coals out over the whole ring when I dump it in. I have a hard time maintaining those temps without all the bottom vents open and the bbq guru running as well. I am also considering installing a second top vent to help keep those high heat cooks going strong.

I have a hard time maintaining those temps without all the bottom vents open and the bbq guru running as well. I am also considering installing a second top vent to help keep those high heat cooks going strong.

In my experience keeping bottom vents open (other than the ique/guru vent) decreases the control device's ability to raise temperature.

Also, I can get 350 without having to mod the 18" wsm.

Also, I can get 350 without having to mod the 18" wsm..

So can I, without adding an ATC or any other mod.
Just crack the lid or prop the door works on my 18.5" WSM in my backyard for HH.
I know from reading the forums that everyone's WSM's run a little different from others and some use an ATC for lower controlled temps like on an over-nite. HH never dawned on me as an option for using one.
Learn as you read on this forum is the key!
Tim

Back