Question on Roadside Chicken?????????

TimO

I am going to be doing six large bone in breast this weekend with the roadside chicken recipe. I was wondering if there is a need to do an injection on the breast, or does marinating a piece that large seem to work ok? Also is the white sugar in the recipe just regular sugar, or is it something special? Thanks.

marinating is fine, I've done it overnight.
White sugar is regular sugar.
good luck and please supply photos (or samples
icon_biggrin.gif
)

The sugar is a concern of mine, too. Some of my Roadside has gotten pretty dark once or twice. As my mother used to say, "It's not burned; it's just dark brown."

I wonder if substituting turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw), which has a slightly higher burn point would work here? It might not matter with the higher cooking temperatures being used, though.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
"It's not burned; it's just dark brown."
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
When it happens to me I call it "caramelized"...
icon_eek.gif

In my mother's day, "caramelized" was not part of the lexicon. Works for me, though!

I'm still interested in whether subbing turbinado sugar for the granulated sugar will help keep the "caramelization" under control.

Bryan, Kevin...???

Rita

I've used turbinado when I was out of regular, and I didn't really see a ton of difference, but my roadside never gets too terribly dark. I do it indirect, but right up next to the coals, just not right over the top of them. If you control your distance from the coals, you can still get that amazing roadside crust and color, but without the real dark sugar. I usually to big bone-in breasts as well, and the marinade is fine, they just need alittle more time. A thigh after ~4-6 hours has great flavor, but a bread will take 12 hours easily, even over night, and not get over-marinated. With the turbinado, since it is a little more granular and large, you may want to heat your marinade to disolve it some before basting.

I did 3 halves the other day which I left overnight (~16 hrs in marinade). With larger pieces I just put them all in a ziploc bag and make sure to move around every couple hours to get them all covered.

As for the dark skin.... It would be hard not to get dark skin with this method. The best way I have found is just to keep moving and basting. It's downright delicious anyway you do it.

Back