Question on Heat Sinks

Johnny,

Just having a stick burner does not in itself improve the quality of the cook. There's so much more to it. If that was the case, you would never see WSMs at professional BBQ contests where cooks are vying for thousands of dollars in award monies.

One can create Exceptional BBQ on a little 'ol WSM. If you want to see how it's done, come on down to a local BBQ contest this year. Great learning experience as well as a heck of a lot of fun.

You got me there sir - True. I guess I based my assumption that stick burners offer a heavier smoke profile from my person experience so far with good Q. I had some exceptional bbq on a wsm provided by Harry Soo in his class, that's for sure. That said, it did not have the heavier smoke flavor vs when I tried some of Kenny Trans' (owner of The Smoking Ribs) catering (cooked stick burner). However, I had some more of Kenny's food this past weekend at his restaurant, smoke on his Old Hickory and it too lacked the heavier smoke I have been chasing. That is not to say the ribs we not excellent, because they were..

After thinking about it while writing, I'm probably like a crackhead, chasing my first fix...:lol.

I'm up for it! When and where?

Experiment, but I wouldn't totally give up on experiance like you said. Some of this is nuance.
It may be better to be good at being close enough then bad at theory :P

I am still learning this too, and am still getting everything down, but I do have an engineering degree and I do read too much, and I did grow up playing with fires, lol

As Bob points out, plenty of people doing more then well enough with the WSM... Perhaps I need to get my minion method down, however it seems like no matter how small a fire I start If I give it the oxygen to burn well with no water the temp ramps up as the fire grows. I do always buy lump, and that may be part of it.

As far as the temperature control.... to my understanding its just regulating air. I can do that plenty with vents so I don't think it would help. Id love to experiment with a maze similar to what is used for cold smoking though to make a snake with the same amount of fuel as it normally holds. This may also be more of a problem with the 14.5 as it is so much smaller and you still have a pile of burning coal in the bottom, just heating less volume and making it hotter.

I guess that's my problem too. I start reading a few folks complain about not getting enough smoke on their meat and I start rethinking things. lol I'm just going to shut my mouth and get on with the smoking.. The weekend can't come fast enough. :wsm22:

Couldn't one simply spritz every 15 mins after the bark forms to achieve the same?

Thoughts?
Yes, spritzing with water instead of using water in the pan is how Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ uses the WSM in competition. But he's also using an expensive temperature control device...water can serve as the beginner's no-cost "temperature control device".

I had some exceptional bbq on a wsm provided by Harry Soo in his class, that's for sure. That said, it did not have the heavier smoke flavor vs when I tried some of Kenny Trans' (owner of The Smoking Ribs) catering (cooked stick burner).
Heavy smoke flavor is not automatic with a stick burner. I think it depends on how you manage your fire, how much airflow you get through the pit, and how green or seasoned the wood is. Aaron Franklin uses huge wood-burning pits but produces brisket that's got a light smoke flavor.

Johnny... check your messages.

Replied. :))

Yes, spritzing with water instead of using water in the pan is how Harry Soo of Slap Yo' Daddy BBQ uses the WSM in competition. But he's also using an expensive temperature control device...water can serve as the beginner's no-cost "temperature control device".

Yeah, sort of why I've been questioning the use of water. When I took his class I saw the Stroker unit and how awesome it was but I still need to learn the fundamentals (both with n without water) before I go with an automated system (I think I will want one some time in the future). Not that I'm lazy but I like techy gadgets like that.

Heavy smoke flavor is not automatic with a stick burner. I think it depends on how you manage your fire, how much airflow you get through the pit, and how green or seasoned the wood is. Aaron Franklin uses huge wood-burning pits but produces brisket that's got a light smoke flavor.

So I'm starting to find out...haha I have much to learn I see.

Back