question on brisket

Rick B

I have a party every year where I cook two pork butts (about 7 or 8 lbs. each) and one brisket (about 10-12 lbs). I usually put everything in around 8:30 am and then pull it out about 5 pm. The pork butts are fantastic and the brisket is usually good but sometimes a little on the dry side. I have never wrapped the brisket before but I am thinking of going that route this time. What about cooking everything the day before and then reheating? It takes a fair amount of time to cut and chop everything and I'm always pressed for time before the party starts.
Any suggestions?

Rick

Sounds like a great spread. Everything I've read says don't make it the day before. I wrapped my brisket yesterday and it turned out wonderful. What about starting it a couple hours earlier, pull it out a 3. Cut and chop, wrap in tin foil with a little liquid (beer,beef stock) and hold in a warm oven till the party. Good luck.

Tim

Actually, the time frame you are citing is pretty short for either a serious size butt or brisket. Dryness may well happen if it's undercooked. Of course you can go high heat, is that what you're doing? If not, then it's likely not done enough.

Also, I hate to disagree, but cooking the day before can often be very useful and a fine technique.

I don't do high heat, I usually stick to around 240-250 degrees.. Never had a problem with the pork butts, they always turn out great. Perhaps I'll start a little earlier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but cooking the day before can often be very useful and a fine technique. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. If you have the time to cook same day, fine. But you can cook the day before then reheat successfully.

8-9 hours for a 10 pound brisket sounds REALLY short unless you're doing high heat.

A very rough time idea is about 1.5 hours/pound at 225 degrees +/- whatever the meat decides.

Russ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick B:
...It takes a fair amount of time to cut and chop everything and I'm always pressed for time before the party starts.
Any suggestions?

Rick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, I think you answered your own queastion there. I find that bbq reheated the day after is just about as good, or even better to my tastes if I've been the one cooking it.

If it was me though, especially since the brisket isn't a large one, I'd hold off on slicing the flat til right before the party. Make sure you remove the point before chilling, and I'd go ahead and chop or slice that part the evening of the cook.

Back