Question: Long Term Durability of the Finish

Darrel Williams

TVWBB Super Fan
In choosing between a grill, is one finish more durable in the long run? Does the stainless steel hold up better or worse than the black enamel finish?

Does it matter if I'm talking about a Summit vs a Genesis? It seems weird to me that the stainless is an upgrade of $100 or more on the Genesis level, yet on the Summits the enamel and the stainless are always the same price.

If by holding up you mean taking abuse, than SS could take more. If you chip the porcelain enamel it's all over but of course you cannot chip stainless steel. As far as ease of cleaning owning both a fully 304 stainless grill (my Wolf) and porcelain enamel my Summit I would say the Summit is a little easier to keep up. Again just my $.02. Also it makes no difference Summit to Genesis same finish on both

I'll take the porcelain enamel over SS anytime my Genesis 1000 is over 15 years old and it still looks like new. My 2009 E320 has scratches in the SS that was on it when I got it and nothing I have tried will remove them. The SS when in good shape does look nice though, but IMHO isn't worth the extra cost.

I prefer the black porcelain enamel as a look over SS. I have a black EP-330 and love the look.

When it comes to different colored porcelain finishes, I've found out that Weber first coats their kettles in black and then applies the final color porcelain as a second treatment. I think that's why I've heard of guys having some problems with color finishes if they bank their coals too much to one side with kettles. I've never had that as an issue with the black kettles.

I prefer the porcelain as well. I find it much easier to keep clean than the brushed stainless steel. Also, it holds the heat in a little better.

I had a stainless 670 for a year. When I had the opportunity to get a Grill Center, I went with the porcelain. I find it much easier to keep looking new.

I had a stainless 670 for a year. When I had the opportunity to get a Grill Center, I went with the porcelain. I find it much easier to keep looking new.

I guess this is what I was looking for. I think the right logic is that the stainless looks a little better when new, but doesn't age as well as the black/colors, which clean up nicely for years.

If by holding up you mean taking abuse, than SS could take more.

I guess I am not thinking about physical abuse (dents and dings) as much as I am thinking about weather, and rust, sine, and oxidation. Where I live in Chicago the weather is hot in summer (100* plus in the summer, and prolonged periods of cold below 0* in the winter). The grill has to live outside through all of that.

Last edited:
The $100 extra on the Genesis for SS is that the flavorizor bars and grate are also SS. The regular Genesis has Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer® bars and has porcelain covered cast iron cooking grates. In some places, you can get the EP-3XX. the EP in front is the porcelain outsides but Stainless steel inside.

Inside all Summits are SS.

My s310 came with ss lid side tray tops grates and flavor bars also door front inserts all are in good shape after six winters . I would buy another in a New York minute although Weber has some really nice colors that I like also.

Back