Question for WSM 14.5 Owners

TOM BAUER

TVWBB Pro
As I posted earlier, I had picked up a 14.5 floor model for what I thought was a good deal for me.
My question is, one cooking grate measures 13" inches across and the other grate is 13. 5" inches across. The 13" grate falls easily through the top rack, but the 13.5" fits the top rack pretty good. The schematics shows both the grates at 14".
Could someone please tell me what their grates measure so I don't call Weber with a complaint and get told by Weber that that's what they are supposed to measure?
Thanks!!!

Enjoy your 14.5, I use it 8 to 1 to the 22.5!

0321141538_zps1ce5e137.jpg

Well!! Once I figured out the cooking grate situation with help, I wound some solid copper around one handle of the larger grate to identify it. Won't have any mixup problems now,,,

I LOVE my 14.5 WSM but really question why Weber made two different size grates. Just seems to be counter-intuitive to me. Oh well, they didn't ask:rolleyes:...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I noticed on mine that the top grate handles are flat, and the bottom grate handles have an arc in them.

That's exactly what tipped me off the grates were different when unboxing my 14.5. Then the assembly instructions on page 29, step 7 had a close up of each handle showing which grate goes in first.

Back