Question about types of BBQ

Matt Galletti

Hey all- has a work trip last week that brought us to Nashville! Really enjoyed it, but we were supposed to get Hattie B’s, but there was a mixup with the order, so the 8 of us walked down the road to Martin’s BBQ. What a treat it was. It did bring a question up- I LOVED the ribs, but they were dry. Never had them without a slab of sauce, mor a glaze to them. Looks like they called them “West Tennesee“ style. Is that just a local term or is that a more well known style? Id love to give em a go drier. The bones also practically snapped in half, and the meat was very tender. Super delicious if any of you are ever in that area. Thanks!

Welcome!

That's so funny, I was also in Nashville for a work trip as well, were you there for the conference?
I actually didn't get to eat anything bbq or hot chicken but I'm going back as owe my fiancé a trip.

Can't speak into that style but test it out and report back. I assume they were pork...???

It's my understanding that Nashville style ribs are traditionally served without sauce. Even without sauce, they shouldn't lack moisture. When we have company for BBQ, I usually put a variety of sauces on the table instead of including in the cook.

Welcome!

That's so funny, I was also in Nashville for a work trip as well, were you there for the conference?
I actually didn't get to eat anything bbq or hot chicken but I'm going back as owe my fiancé a trip.

Can't speak into that style but test it out and report back. I assume they were pork...???
So funny. Not there for the conference, but I certainly heard about it from our Uber driver! I went with my wife a few years back and we had a wonderful time. And yeah, they were pork ribs and absolutely delicious.

It's my understanding that Nashville style ribs are traditionally served without sauce. Even without sauce, they shouldn't lack moisture. When we have company for BBQ, I usually put a variety of sauces on the table instead of including in the cook.
Yeah, when I say dry, I mean more to the lack of sauce on them. Make no mistake, these were very moist. So tasty! They did give sauce on the side that a more vinegar based that I did not feel the need to use since the ribs were so darn tasty.

West Tennesse? That’s a new one to me. I wonder if that’s a new name for Memphis “dry.” Perhaps a way to avoid confusion on what “Memphis Style“ is?
But then again I’m from / In Wisconsin and I’m just guessing.

Memphis gets most of the credit for BBQ in the volunteer state, and "Memphis Dry" is the usual term for how they serve ribs. Dry rubbed, smoked, and then plated without sauce. Sauce on the side. I prefer that style vs serving ribs with sauce or glaze already on them. It's interesting that folks are using "West Tennessee" instead of "Memphis Style". I wonder what "Eastern TN" does different? Maybe less ribs and more pulled pork?

Regardless, Tennessee is a fun place to visit and there's all kinds of good BBQ and other food to be had. Hoping to go visit Nashville again in the next couple of years.

I prefer all my “BBQ” dry rubbed, but you’d better have a selection of sauces available. In my book of eating, I judge your sauces along with your meat.

Back