Question about Lard

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I've never cooked with or bought lard before.

I am interested in trying new things with refried beans in effort to get closer to some I had a few days ago.

I've searched the internet but and I'm finding some info (too much & different).

I'm wondering what brands to look for, does it need to be refrigerated, and any other simple pointers.

There's no specific brand. You might find it labeled "Manteca" instead of lard. It doesn't "have" to be refrigerated...much like Crisco. That said, I use mine so seldom that I keep it in my second refrigerator in the garage.

You are going down a magnificent route. I have made refried beans from dried beans a couple times, and they are something really special, and deserve real lard for the process.

Since you'll have it, look at doing traditional carnitas, which (correctly done) are pork shoulder chunks cooked in a Dutch oven full of lard.

If you or your wife are a pastry chef, try making pie crust with lard instead of shortening. It will change your life.

Lard got hit hard and early with the switch to lighter oils. It's something that was completely commonplace in kitchens in the early 50s and nearly extinct by the mid 60s.

Thanks Jeff! I don't think I ever remember seeing it in any kitchen, closest thing to it I remember was Crisco but that's a shortening (vegetable).

I'll update the thread if I find anything to add.

Yeah, I remember as a kid in the early 60s Mom switched from lard to Crisco because it was healthier. Now hardly anyone will touch Crisco!

I know you have some really good Mexican restaurants in your area (I know, because I have been to a few). If you have a favorite, where you know there's something unique about their food, but you can't put your finger on what the difference is, and all the folks in the back doing the work are actually Mexican, you can assume they're cooking with lard instead of vegetable oil or shortening.

Saturated fats??? Yeah, I guess so. My plan is to enjoy it, but only occasionally. If I go early, at least it will be with a smile on my face.

Pretty much what Jeff said, Manteca is the key to some great mexican food actually alot of great food period. It was a staple it are house growing up & still is.

I saw one that said hydrogenized on the package...which looks like it's a trans-fat: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/art-20046114 ....doesn't look like all lard has trans-fats: http://www.webmd.com/diet/finding-the-best-trans-fat-alternatives but I could be wrong.

It's been a LONG time since my last biology course, so long that I barely remember what they said about saturated fats, but like you, I probably won't be eating many lard sandwiches :)

We have a large Hispanic population in this area, so it's actually rare to find a store that does not carry lard. Lard makes food good!

Manteca is just butter, do a Google for duck fat or beef tallow. The dog sleeps on my book, I don't dare to disturb him. He would demand scratches for hours. He's almost a Marine, just won't quit.

Hi Clinjt. Look for "Field" Brand Lard at Walmart or "Proper Foods for Life" brand at Whole Foods. Neither of those brands are hydrogenated. Lard makes a great biscuit for when you want buscuits and gravy!

I've been experimenting with it a bit.... slowly incorporating it. The first batch of beans I made up, half went to waste it just had such a strong flavor. The next batch I made with none (control), then I made one with 50/50 lard / oil. I don't know what it was but I wasn't used to those flavors coming out of my kitchen & although good, it threw me off. I added it to a couple breads & liked it. B&G - never done them from scratch but Chris put up a black pepper biscuit recipe that looked really good....

Back