Question About Handle Mod on 22.5 WSM

Ryan Bardo

First let me say this Forum is great. Tons of great info. I have a question about adding handles to the sides of the middle section on the 22.5 WSM. I would like to add the wood handles but was wondering if the factory provided cover still fits the cooker with the handles on?

Ryan, I have not done this mod, but I don't think you will find a cover that will fit over the handles very easily. Welcome to the forum!

I've got low profile metal handles on mine, and the cover fits, even with my dome hinge. I'll try to remember to post a pic later.

I removed them from my 18, but find the horizontal handles really handy on the 22.

I use mine on my 22 also and built them so they fit flusher. Factory cover fit okay still with the handles on vertically on first and bit snugger on second smoker with them horizontally. I eventually swapped the OEM cover to match the others on my gas and charcoal grills

I have a set from Weber installed on mine and the cover fits fine. Mine have the same handles as are on the lid. That said, making them yourself is simple. Somewhere on this site there used to be a complete tutorial on how to build a set if you have the plastic handles. It just takes getting a strip of aluminum from someplace like Lowes, drilling a hole for the center handle screw, then bending around the handle to form the "legs" and then choosing the length of the "legs", and bending them outward to get the flat to drill and mount. I know it sounds difficult, but it is really easy because the aluminum strip bends easily and can be cut easily with 9 inch lineman's pliers.

At any rate, yes, the original cover fits fine unless you make the handles too tall.

I would like to add the wood handles but was wondering if the factory provided cover still fits the cooker with the handles on?

Depends how far the handle brackets stand out. Since the 22.5" WSM already has a handle at the front of the lid, keeping the other handles low profile should work. If the wooden handles you speak of are the ones some use that are available for the Weber fireplace, than I don't know if those would work as the brackets stand out much further.
If your interested in making your brackets whatever stand you want, than this is a link that might help.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?24142-DIY-Handle-Brackets
Those are on my 18 and the cover did fit, but keep my Weby's in the garage so I don't need to cover. I need to make a pair for the 22.

Tim

I turn the lid so the handle on the lid is directly over one of the handles on the side when I put the cover on. That way it takes up less space.

Ryan, I "manufactured" handles for my 22" WSM then purchased a cover for the 26½" Kettle.
Works Excellent!

DSCN3911.JPG
DSCN3909.JPG

and that's it ▼ in the corner of the PV covered up.

IMG_5334.JPG

Back