Question about beef ribs

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
So I smoked some beef ribs for the first time on Sunday for Father's Day.

As outlined in the above post, they turned out pretty well. The only thing that was kind of a disappointment was the membrane. I pulled off a membrane, there was a layer of fat and then something that looked like another membrane. I don't recall reading about a second membrane, but I wasn't about to fire up the ole iPad with those messy hands
icon_smile.gif

The funny thing is that on one rack, I think I removed all of the membrane, but on the other three, it was clear that there was some form of tough membrane still on the bottom. I am not sure of what I did differently. I did notice that the ribs were not thoroughly thawed and that the membrane seem to come off easier on the ones that were still partially frozen.

I have not had this issue with pork ribs. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks,
Brett

I've never done beef ribs, but from what I understand the membrane on them is a lot tougher to deal with than with pork ribs. Maybe the membrane you pulled off was just a layer of the whole membrane and not the COMPLETE membrane. I know some people like to score the membrane instead of removing it. I honestly don't know what the purpose of that is - its still there but just with cuts in it - but maybe you could try that.

think i read somewhere there are 2 membranes. if you remove the second membrane the ribs will just fall apart.

I found two membranes on the beef ribs ... removed the top one and part of the second layer. Couldn't get the second to come off cleanly so I scored that one instead. Next time, I'll allow for more prep time and remove both, taking my chances that the ribs may fall apart.

I did two racks of beef ribs on Saturday for the first time. On one of the racks, the membrane was pretty stubborn and somewhat difficult to remove. On the other rack, the membrane came of pretty easily like on pork ribs. I've never heard of them having two membranes. I've just heard that the membrane is sometimes more difficult to remove than with pork ribs.

Back