Q200 questions

Eric-NH

TVWBB Pro
I'm looking at a 2008 q200 with the stand for $20. Missing one side table and the ignitor doesn't work. Anything I should be on the lookout for? Seems like a deal, just want something to take camping next year. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231024-174231.png
    Screenshot_20231024-174231.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231024-174215.png
    Screenshot_20231024-174215.png
    543.6 KB · Views: 8
$20 is a deal. You can swap out the igniter with one of the old style piezo igniters for about $10 and it will last a lot longer than the electronic ones.

The biggest issue with those is the cooking grates. If those are in good shape, it is a big steal. Even if you have to replace them, it is a good deal. The burners last a long time and usually just need cleaning.

I have a Q200 and use it 80% of time I grill. They are just so easy and convenient and unless you are cooking for 4-5 people, they are awesome, dependable and durable grills.

$20 is a deal. You can swap out the igniter with one of the old style piezo igniters for about $10 and it will last a lot longer than the electronic ones.

The biggest issue with those is the cooking grates. If those are in good shape, it is a big steal. Even if you have to replace them, it is a good deal. The burners last a long time and usually just need cleaning.

I have a Q200 and use it 80% of time I grill. They are just so easy and convenient and unless you are cooking for 4-5 people, they are awesome, dependable and durable grills.
Told him I'd take it, I'll grab it as soon as scheduling allows. Thanks for the info!

You are correct Larry. I tend to call all the same Q2xx grills Q200 and just assumed it was a later model. I do see it has the piezo, which "probably" still works and likely the electrode is toast or maybe gummed up. It should be simple to diagnose though where the problem is.

Enjoy the grill Eric.

Just picked it up, I'm psyched! Cleaned the burner and now it lights just fine. Burner holes were plugged up next to the ignitor, used a tip cleaner for an acetylene torch and seems good as new. I'll get it cleaned up, paint it and probably add a thermometer. Might try and build a side table for it. Feels like a total steal for $20, guy even had a full propane tank for it!

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_131155343.jpg
    PXL_20231028_131155343.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231028_090617_01.jpg
    IMG_20231028_090617_01.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231028_131202780.jpg
    PXL_20231028_131202780.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231028_131615608.jpg
    PXL_20231028_131615608.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231028_132346953.jpg
    PXL_20231028_132346953.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 6
Nice find. Other than cosmetics, the only "challenges" these will present to you is the CI grate, but really good replacements can be had cheap and they work best with good CI ones. And burner clogging, due to the design of the burner being somewhat "unprotected". Otherwise they just grill and grill and grill. Like a Timex. :D

Forgot to say, I cleaned the grate and then seasoned it with crisbee cast iron seasoning. I've got a LOT of cast iron pans that I've restored, I've had good luck with this stuff. The grate that is on this is a one piece grate, not enameled. Must be a replacement piece, right?

Attachments

• 1000004275.jpg
    1000004275.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 8
Forgot to say, I cleaned the grate and then seasoned it with crisbee cast iron seasoning. I've got a LOT of cast iron pans that I've restored, I've had good luck with this stuff. The grate that is on this is a one piece grate, not enameled. Must be a replacement piece, right?
I think you are correct. It does not look like an OEM Weber grate to me, and in your case that is a good thing. The set you restored looks very nice.

Not sure how one could tell if or not this is an OEM. Even the original (older) OEM grates were all enamel but the coating was different. More like an "impregnation" rather than a coating sitting on top of the iron. Honestly I have a Q320 that had original grates and bought a set of high quaity replacement CI ones before I found the SS ones. Other than some VERY slight nuances (numbers and such in the casting on the undersides), I could not tell one little bit of difference (even down to the weight). Even the enamel was very high quality. Also IDK of anyone making actual raw CI grates for the Qs either. Though I honestly have not looked all that hard :D

I based my comment on the last Q3200 that I picked up that still had OEM grates. They were the ones with the shiny, thick porcelain coating. Although that particular Q was very well cared for, the porcelain was showing the inevitable chipping and rust. I didn't think that any Qs had original grates with the matte/impregnated coating.

I have 2 of the Q1xx, I bought and then sold a Q2xx for what I had in it (too big for my needs), and rehabbed a Q3xx for our daughter...they all have the porcelain-impregnated grates, they all come from difference sources, so I just assumed that was OEM. It seems too great a coincidence for all 4 to have aftermarket grates, but anything is possible, I guess. My Silver has the porcelain-coated variety so there is a distinct difference. And the picture for the Weber replacement grate on Amazon distinctly shows the porcelain-coated variety, so that tends to support that those are OEM. However, a quick check shows than none of the aftermarket grates offer porcelain-impregnated grates, so....

Last edited:
those CI grates on Q grills seems to be their Achilles heel. It is the first thing to go out on them in my experience. Those who really take care of their grates have much better luck that those that neglect them. That basically goes for the burners too. But, aside from those to areas, they are pretty much bullet proof and neglect proof.

Doing some more cleaning today, really liking how this little cooker is turning out. Still needs more, but this is a definite improvement. It looks like the paint was on at least some of the underside of the lid, anyone know where there originally was and wasn't paint?

Attachments

• 1000004353.jpg
    1000004353.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 6

Back