Q1200 only works on 1lb tank

JonathanW

I have a weber q1200 that I purchased used a couple years ago. I had it hooked up to a 20lb tank with an extension hose (no regulator on the hose). It worked for a couple of years until it didn't a couple of months ago. At first I thought it was the hose and bought a new one, it worked for a moment. So then I thought it was the regulator and purchased a new one. It worked when I first installed it, then it stopped. But it does work on the 1 lb tank without issue.

I'm at a loss as to what to do with it. Wife just wants to replace with another grill.

I've looked at some posts that had a video of basically removing the standard regulator and custom building a regulator, not sure I want to go that route.

Weird. At least in still works on the small tanks. What actually happens when it doesn't work? I would also suspect the tank.

The regulators on the q grills are finicky.

It sounds like you prefer using a 20lb tank.

If that is the case you can eliminate the regulator on the grill and replace the connection with brass fittings available at a hardware store. You would use a longer grill hose regulator assembly - 1 meter or a yard. It will cost between $20 and $40 in parts.

That setup is a PIA. The trick is not opening the tank too quickly. You have to just barely "crack" it, then wait, then a little more and wait and so on. The regulator on the grill and the OPV on the tank will "trip" if you simply "open" the tank right up

Same happened to mine. I had my q2200 for over a year and bought the hose with it because it was a package deal from Amazon.
I went thru plenty of cooks, on my third 20# tank and this just started happening. I also use the same setup for my MM griddle and it does the same thing. I'm sure its the OPD on the tank causing it but only on this last tank.
I was usually careful opening it slowly but not like a safe cracker, weird.
If it is a problem with the regulator/hose/OPV I'm surprised Weber even sells it? ( The hose )
My MM griddle instructions said to only use the 1# tanks or you could have problems.

Last edited:
I picked up about 10 free q grills over the last couple of years. The ones with the 20lb tank converter hose all had regulator issues which probably is why they were free.

I did bypass the regulator on a few and didn’t have any issues as after that.

Yeah, same here. It's from the sudden rush of pressure in the hose. I think the spring in the regulator gets weak, then allows the protection valve to "trip" needlessly"

Larry, I am running your old Q200 on a 20lb tank with the adapter hose and have had no problems. I am sometimes not particularly careful about opening it slowly either. In fact, several times I have had the valve on high when opening the tank valve and it doesn't trip the protection valve. But, I have had issues with other Q grills. One think that I think might be an issue is people using those long 10 foot adapter or longer hoses. Mine is only about 3 feet long.

Could be. But, the ones I have had issues with did not have those long hoses though they were more like 5' IIRC

NO, do not get the HD hose. It will not work well on your grill. First off, it has a built in regulator and your grill already has one. Second, it is a high pressure hose and you need a low pressure hose/regulator for a grill.

Back