Problems with gas flow on my Weber Q 1200 (and I've done everything to fix it)

Hi, everyone.

So, my Weber Q 1200 :weberq: has a bad gas flow problem. The flames basically only light on half the burner tube (the area closest to the gas intake).

I've watched all the videos. I've pulled out the burner tube and cleaned it. I've poked all the holes on it to make sure there was no obstruction. I have done a few different 'reset' procedures on the regulator and then re-tested with a new Coleman propane tank (I typically use a hose extension for our larger propane tank, but wanted to make sure that the flow problem wasn't the hose either). -- Same results. Typically half the burner tube lights.

So now I'm assuming the only thing left to do is get a new regulator--even though this grill is only like 4 years old and regulators are supposed to last like 20 years??

Any thoughts on this? Have I missed anything? And also, I'm assuming I need the Weber #64866 Valve and Regulator Assembly.

Any help would be awesome. Happy grilling.

Turn off the grill valve, turn off the tank, disconnect the hose from the grill. Wait a few minutes, reconnect the hose, open the tank valve, turn on the grill VERRRYYYY slowly until you have turned the knob a full turn or more. Then open it all the way. Light the grill.

If that doesn't work, then test for leaks at the tank, along the hose all the way up to the valve on the grill. If that doesn't work, then I guess a new regulator is the next step. But, first I would talk to Weber Customer Service. I think that might still be covered on a 4 year old Q1200. If not, I would look for a donor grill to steal one off of. They will rob you for a new one.

I also might have one if you want to make a deal.

Oh, I might suggest that you eliminate the regulator on the grill and just by a regular hose and regulator and plumb that into your grill. The only thing is that you wouldn't be able to use a 1lb canister any longer. I did that on my Q200 and my Q100 camping grill.2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (3).jpg2019 Q grill Bulk adapter (4).jpg

Last edited:
Yeah if you use the large tank, it's very difficult to keep the OPD from tripping. As outlined. Disconnect everything. Turn on the grill valve just to bleed the system and reset. Now reconnect the tank. Be sure everything is seated correctly. Now S L O W L Y turn the tank on. Literally just "crack" the valve and then continue until fully open. Now turn on the grill valve and wait a bit. (30 seconds or so) to let the gas fill the line and the burner tube. Now try to light it off. If still an issue 2 things can be still causing the issue. The hose and the regulator. TO test the hose, use a small 1lb tank. If it still fails it's the regulator. The regulator is the only weak spot on the Q grills. They fail left and right. You can commit to only using a large tank like Bruce has shown and eliminate the one built in to the grill or simply buy a new one. Perhaps Weber will help on cost

Yeah if you use the large tank, it's very difficult to keep the OPD from tripping. As outlined. Disconnect everything. Turn on the grill valve just to bleed the system and reset. Now reconnect the tank. Be sure everything is seated correctly. Now S L O W L Y turn the tank on. Literally just "crack" the valve and then continue until fully open. Now turn on the grill valve and wait a bit. (30 seconds or so) to let the gas fill the line and the burner tube. Now try to light it off. If still an issue 2 things can be still causing the issue. The hose and the regulator. TO test the hose, use a small 1lb tank. If it still fails it's the regulator. The regulator is the only weak spot on the Q grills. They fail left and right. You can commit to only using a large tank like Bruce has shown and eliminate the one built in to the grill or simply buy a new one. Perhaps Weber will help on cost

well, I tried opening the tank very slowly as you indicated, and all the burners lit. flames still look a little weak, but whatever. would I need to do that slow tank turn-on each time I need to do the grill?

just starting to wonder if I should just buy a generic regulator as Bruce suggested above and just be done with it.

How hot does the grill get. The flames on a Q grill are nothing like what you would see in a Genesis. There are only maybe 1/2" tall.

well, I tried opening the tank very slowly as you indicated, and all the burners lit. flames still look a little weak, but whatever. would I need to do that slow tank turn-on each time I need to do the grill?

just starting to wonder if I should just buy a generic regulator as Bruce suggested above and just be done with it.
Depends on how you shut the grill down. If you're one of those who like shutting it down by turning off the tank then the grill yes. If you shut the grill off then the tank you should be fine. But in all odds you may need to continue to do that. The issue is that the regulator is not at the tank where those protection devices are designed to expect it. It's on the grill valve. So when you turn start the grill using those extension hoses the OPD sees a big gulp of high pressure LP all at once and trips. It's physics. Nothing you can really do about it

Depends on how you shut the grill down. If you're one of those who like shutting it down by turning off the tank then the grill yes. If you shut the grill off then the tank you should be fine. But in all odds you may need to continue to do that. The issue is that the regulator is not at the tank where those protection devices are designed to expect it. It's on the grill valve. So when you turn start the grill using those extension hoses the OPD sees a big gulp of high pressure LP all at once and trips. It's physics. Nothing you can really do about it

So, this might fix my situation then?

I guess. It's really hard for me to tell. I don't know what your habits are, how you use it and so on. My guess is yes though

Dave, that hose you linked to is exactly what Larry says could be causing your problem. Most grill set ups have the regulator right at the tank. With that hose, the regulator is several feet downline from the tank and all that hose has to fill up before it hits the regulator and gets "regulated". That rush from the tank up to the regulator could be causing the OPD to kick in sensing a massive leak which in turn would restrict flow until it resets.

If you want to run off a hose, you are better off getting a regular hose with the regulator right at the tank connector and then plumbing the hose directly into the grill manifold/valve. Like the picture I posted above.

Dave, that hose you linked to is exactly what Larry says could be causing your problem. Most grill set ups have the regulator right at the tank. With that hose, the regulator is several feet downline from the tank and all that hose has to fill up before it hits the regulator and gets "regulated". That rush from the tank up to the regulator could be causing the OPD to kick in sensing a massive leak which in turn would restrict flow until it resets.

If you want to run off a hose, you are better off getting a regular hose with the regulator right at the tank connector and then plumbing the hose directly into the grill manifold/valve. Like the picture I posted above.

Ok, well I made a mistake, because what I posted didn't have an actual regulator where it connected to the tank. What about something like this? I've been trying to find out what kind of generic regulator /w hose setup will fit the Weber Q 1200. Christ almighty I'm bad at this. Can you maybe link to one 'Brice?' ;)

That would be dangerous. It is not meant for grills it's meant for high pressure applications like construction heaters

Back