Pulled Pork

Kevin MM

TVWBB Member
The first pulled pork that I smoked was 9.5 lbs. at 225 and took around 13 hours. If I didn't want to do an overnight smoke then I could always just do two 4.5 lb pork shoulders? Am I correct in this thinking?

Yes, two 4.5LBS will cook faster than one 9.5LBS
You could also reduce cooking by increasing your cooking temp. If you bumped up your cooking temp to 250, you'd knock a couple hours off your 13 hour cook

Yes, two 4.5LBS will cook faster than one 9.5LBS
You could also reduce cooking by increasing your cooking temp. If you bumped up your cooking temp to 250, you'd knock a couple hours off your 13 hour cook

There have also been a few recent threads about smoke for three hour followed by braise for five recently. I tried it this past weekend and it worked really well. I used hard cider in the braise, and it was delicious. Family loved it, as did neighbors.

There have also been a few recent threads about smoke for three hour followed by braise for five recently. I tried it this past weekend and it worked really well. I used hard cider in the braise, and it was delicious. Family loved it, as did neighbors.

Hmmmm it sounds familar.... :)

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51784-Smoked-and-Braised-Pulled-Pork
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52135-A-Mike-Coffman-inspired-cook
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52996-I-ve-been-called-out

Sometimes smaller weights will cut down cooking, but sometimes not that much. It has more to do with the mass than the weight.

For me, I smoke my butts at around 280*. On the WSM at 7 am, in a foiled pan at 12, off around 4 pm. I just did this last weekend with 4 butts and a combined weight of 35+ pounds.

Why don't more people cut them in half? I don't either, but its a good point. And you'll get a higher bark to meat ratio. Mat be worth trying.

Chuck your braised pulled pork looks great! How did you know to take it off an hour earlier? When I read Mikes it said it was timed and not by temperature. I'm thinking about doing it this way is their any advice or would you change anything from your last one that would make a difference?

In the braise is their any beer I should stay away from or any recommended? Should I use water in the braise or just add more beer?

In the braise is their any beer I should stay away from or any recommended? Should I use water in the braise or just add more beer?

Kevin the hard cider worked really well. I used Johnny Appleseed brand. Chuck backed my earlier comment up with links to the threads I was mentioning (thanks, Chuck). I followed the times closely and it was really good. Eight hours isn't exactly short, but at least you can plan around it, and the outcome was great. Have fun!

The ingredients of my braise

1409B7E0-A39C-453F-841E-D2BD9F8869E9_zpsop6lfnt4.jpg

The braise

6E1FF3A2-A196-44DA-BAEE-5C8F7792201C_zpspk6t4qhs.jpg

You can be creative as you want, so just add flavors that you want transferred to the meat

Thanks for the info.. I was thinking about using a 1to 1 ratio of bass ale, one for me and for the braise!! I bought two 7.5 lb boneless pork shoulders and will do 4 hours smoke then check it at 3 hours in the pan. I assume I can take it off if it's at 195 degrees? I bought two clay saucers today that I will try out for this cook. I have been having troubles getting the higher temps but I'm hoping this will do the trick.

Sounds like a good plan Kevin, it should come out just fine. Just for giggles, check it for tenderness when you take it off. I have to believe it will be done, but it never hurts to check for tenderness

So I thought the pulled pork came out good last night, I cut the 7.5 lb pork shoulder into 4 pieces. They smoked for four hours and then placed into the brine. They cooked in the brine for 2 hours and 40 minutes, I know it's less time then other peoples but the internal temperature was 168. If I kept it on the grill longer would the meat get harder or softer? I kept the temperature around 250 but had problems with the placement of the Digi Q pit temp clip. Not sure where the best place is to get the most accurate temperature. If I place it on the outside part of the grill grates then it would be the hottest, if I place it in the middle I thought maybe the meat would have an effect on it. I'm open to any suggestions, I spent a lot of money on this device but end up going by the temp on the hood.

Those look good. I can't tell you what temp I pull butts at as I usually pull them when the bone wiggles freely. For boneless, or chunks like you have, I would go probe tender. As for the temp probe, I can see where you would run out of real estate with a big pan like that. Could you attach is some how to the bottom of the grate?

Back