Pulled Pork Storage

Ron B

TVWBB Member
Hey guys,

Smoked three butts for a pot luck at work Thursday. My question is, should I freeze it?

I was just going to put it in zip lock bags, toss it in the freezer and pull it out Wednesday to defrost.

What do you think?

Thanks

Your plan is the safest way to go. However, if you cooked the butts today and plan to serve on Thursday, you can refrigerate them until then. Three to four days is said to be the max for keeping leftovers in the fridge. But you've not said when you cooked those butts.

Thanks Chris. I did them overnight, just came off this morning.
That's the way I'm going to go.

Happy New Year

This might not be possible due to the amout of meat you cooked but I typically vac seal mine and freeze in 2 lb bags. When I'm ready to eat I boil a big pot of water and throw the bag in the hot water and turn off the heat. 10 - 15 minutes later and it tastes just like it was pulled.

I've had real good luck holding pulled pork in Food Saver bags refrigerated for a bit over 3 days. Cooked overnight Mon/Tues, put 5 lb aliquots in bags and refrigerated Tues afternoon, warmed and served at my daughters workplace (local hospital NICU/PICU) Friday night.

I have had good luck freezing pulled pork as well. Whenever I make pulled pork, I always make a point to save the drippings that accumulate in the foil pan when I wrap the brisket while cooking. I separate the oil out of the drippings and discard the oil. I pour the remaining liquid through a sieve, put it in a ziplock bag and freeze this.

Whenever I go to reheat frozen pulled pork, a I break off a piece of the frozen drippings and melt it into the reheating pulled pork. I think this gives much better results that just reheating dry pulled pork.

Another thing I do with frozen pulled pork is reheat it with red or green enchilada sauce and it makes an excellent burrito filling.

Back