Pulled Pork - Smoked and Instant Pot

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I made some pulled pork for the first time in ages as I was in Food Lion and they had a Natures Promise pork shoulder butt on sale. I did 4 hours on the smoker at 250° and then put it in the Instant Pot on high pressure with about 1/2 cup of broth and a little BBQ sauce for 1 hour and 15 minutes, natural release. It came out excellent, and the bone fell out and pulled easily. I added some of the juice back in after pulling. This is BBQ sauce I picked up at Costco.

After smoking, before pressure cooking
1698015010999.png
After Instant Pot
1698015048628.png
Sauce
1698015080597.png1698015114064.png

I might have to try that IP approach. I used mine yesterday to help tenderize some grilled sirloin steak for my chili for our neighborhood chili chow-down. Last year I thought the steak was a little too tough even after braising in the slow cooker for 7+ hours. 10 minutes on high and full pressure release and it was the perfect texture for the chili.

I might have to try that IP approach. I used mine yesterday to help tenderize some grilled sirloin steak for my chili for our neighborhood chili chow-down. Last year I thought the steak was a little too tough even after braising in the slow cooker for 7+ hours. 10 minutes on high and full pressure release and it was the perfect texture for the chili.
I don't seem to leave anything on the smoker until done. Once something hits the stall and gets wrapped it does not get more smoke flavor so I finish them in the oven in winter to keep the heat in the house and on the gas grill in summer to keep the heat out. Corned beef and now pulled pork in the Instant Pot. It saves so much time and I have been really pleased with the results. It saves a lot of time, charcoal, and effort for me. Better than most BBQ joints as I can season / sauce it to my taste. If you want more bark you can just open it up in the oven.

The best of both worlds. (y) Smoking and pressure cooking. I need to use my Instapot more. I just did chili in mine, 10 minutes on pressure then 3 hours in crockpot mode medium. Turned out well but didn't win my neighborhood chili cookoff.:)
I always cook chili in the IP. Cook beans, drain and put aside, Put IP in Sauté mode and cook meat, onions, pepper, some spices, add sauce and beans back in and simmer and spice to taste, all in 1 pot.

The best of both worlds. (y) Smoking and pressure cooking. I need to use my Instapot more. I just did chili in mine, 10 minutes on pressure then 3 hours in crockpot mode medium. Turned out well but didn't win my neighborhood chili cookoff.:)
Ours isn’t a contest but mine was the only one without beans, had chili consistency (not soupy) and the only one to be entirely eaten. I always use slow cooker bags in my crockpot, so I just pulled out the bag and threw it away. Easy cleanup.

Ours isn’t a contest but mine was the only one without beans, had chili consistency (not soupy) and the only one to be entirely eaten. I always use slow cooker bags in my crockpot, so I just pulled out the bag and threw it away. Easy cleanup.
I did not know slow cooker bags were even a thing. I don't think I would use them with the IP though. The pot is so easy to clean, especially with a dog;-). The hardest part is taking off all the little parts from the lid and not loosing them down the disposal. Cooking at high pressure and long times in plastic just does not sound like the best idea. I do use bags for Sous Vide (lower temps - no pressure) and vacuum sealing, but only cold food goes into the bags.

I did not know slow cooker bags were even a thing. I don't think I would use them with the IP though. The pot is so easy to clean, especially with a dog;-). The hardest part is taking off all the little parts from the lid and not loosing them down the disposal. Cooking at high pressure and long times in plastic just does not sound like the best idea. I do use bags for Sous Vide (lower temps - no pressure) and vacuum sealing, but only cold food goes into the bags.
The bags I use are liners for slow cookers or crockpots, not Instant Pots. You can find them in the store in the foil and wrap area. I agree that bags should not be used on Instant Pots, even if using it to slow cook (which I’ve never done). Becaise the heat from an Instant Pot all comes from the bottom, rather than around the vessel like in a crockpot, I wouldn’t consider it.

Back