Pulled Pork Sandwiches - your go-to homemade sauce

Drew Baker

I am making a couple of butts this weekend. The last time I made "Danny's Mustard Glaze" as a sauce for the sandwiches, and I loved it. I wanted to also make another sauce that isn't mustard based, whether it's a homemade BBQ, I've seen referenced the "carolina red" sauce, etc.

What's your go-to sauce on top of your sandwiches? Recipes?

Thanks!

If I'm going to make a sauce from scratch, I usually start with the #5 sauce recipe and change it a bit, depending on my taste that day or the ingredients I have on hand.

It's in the recipe forum.......it really is a good base sauce. Sometimes I sweeten it up a bit with heavy brown sugar. Sometimes I'll add some Franks or Chipotle Pepper to give it a kick.

Agree with Dwayne. #5 is the way to go. You can change it every time you make so it's different depending on how you want to use it.

This is a sauce I use, I put it on everything. A little tang, a hint of vinegar and a little heat....

•1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
•1 cup ketchup
•1/2 cup brown sugar
•2 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
•2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
•1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons)
•1 tsp garlic powder
•1 tsp course black pepper
•1/4 tsp cumin
•1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

I simmer it for a bit and its the bomb.

I default to the No. 5 sauce with a few mods unless I have another recipe in mind. There are many versions of Carolina Red sauce, most you can find here by doing a search. If you're really pressed for time, try Kraft Light Italian Dressing (blasphemy) by itself. If you want to feel like you personalized it, add hot sauce, your fav vinegar and some sweet to taste.

This isn’t mine but we have used it for years…. ala Carolina Style. Yep, very watery and with a bite. :)

1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes

You can always take a sweet sauce like Sweet Babay Rays and doctor it up with a little vinegar and some hot sauce as well, I've done it on several occasions with good results.

For pulled pork I am partial to a thin hot pepper vinegar sauce - like Rolf's above. I prefere a thicker sauce on beef or ribs (pork or beef).

Modified No. 5 (meaning 1/3 cup vinegar rather than 1/2 c.) and adding 1/4 c. beef broth and 1 T. each of molasses and honey.

For pulled pork sandwiches, I really like the Carolina Red recipe that Chris has under the pork butt cooking tip. The only thing I modify is that I used 1/2 teaspoon of both cayenne pepper and dried chile flakes.

1-1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot dried red chile flakes
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
Stir together all ingredients, dissolving the sugar and salt. Serve at room temperature.

Modified #5sauce. I really liked the original#5, but when I started adding about 2 ounces of Captain Morgan spiced rum to it, it (IMHO) put it over the top! If there's pork to be served at our house, the #5 sauce is always on the table! Try it, I feel quite sure you'll like it!
Tim

Can someone link to a #5? My son came back from a local ribfest and said that the pulled pork he bought was the best thing he had ever tasted. Of course that would have been pork mixed with sauce for mass serving but I got me thinking about moving away from naked with Carolina red on the side if he found it that good!

I have a couple of butts on the smoker right now. Looking forward to a sandwich tonight. :) I actually like a combination of 2 sauces. After I stack some pulled pork on a bun I douse the meat with 'Lexington Sauce':

Ingredients
1 cup distilled vinegar (do not use cider vinegar)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon finely ground black pepper

Then I add some #5 and some cole slaw and I'm good to go.

Drew,

Just to be contrarian, this is the best bbq sauce I've yet made, and that would include many, many. It may appear "ketchup-y" but it's not. It may appear sweet. It's not. It may appear many things, but all I and my many friends can say is that it's incredible. Give it a try.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...tyle-vinegar-barbecue-sauce-recipe/index.html

I'd only point out that the disadvantage to this sauce is the relatively short refrigerator life compared to traditional vinegar sauces. It is very good, though.

This is mine... It has evolved a bit, and interestingly, I change the heat with the bbq sauce I use rather than anything else. This is the tangy one... substitute Devil's Spit if your buddies like it a bit spicier.

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup natural apple juice
1/2 cup Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cayenne

Back