Pulled Pork NOLA style

Richard S

TVWBB Pro
My friend recently visited New Orleans and paid multiple visits to a place called “The Joint!” He brought me back some rub which I put on one of shoulders I started smoking last night around 10pm! Used B&B logs and lump plus a heavy dose of peach and hickory. 6C5CEE90-54C5-46D9-B05B-70CABACDDC6B.jpegD7AAA331-C5BE-4531-9B8B-A17E8905785A.jpegI generously rubbed one with the special rub from NOLA and the other I did with garlic salt and some Meat ChurchC4B63DD4-47AF-4238-B615-55A2200F7105.jpegBA1023A5-7AC1-46A6-9C96-1F11CD36D8E3.jpegB7ED1309-502E-4F55-BF74-940F8F5B9134.jpegPut them on at 10pm and temps stabilized immediately. I went to bed around 11pm and here they were at 3am when I did a quick check.BA1023A5-7AC1-46A6-9C96-1F11CD36D8E3.jpegThey probed tender after about 12 hours and I took them off, wrapped in butcher paper and put in a cooler where they are resting while I type thisA8EF74F3-D33A-4A8B-AE88-B8AE5A0F8704.jpeg9997D7E1-675A-4FC3-9565-0DC7BD220916.jpegI usually wait to post until after I pull and plate but we got a bunch of friends coming over and tomorrow is the first day of school so I am going to be busy! Cheers!

My friend recently visited New Orleans and paid multiple visits to a place called “The Joint!” He brought me back some rub which I put on one of shoulders I started smoking last night around 10pm! Used B&B logs and lump plus a heavy dose of peach and hickory. View attachment 35393View attachment 35394I generously rubbed one with the special rub from NOLA and the other I did with garlic salt and some Meat ChurchView attachment 35395View attachment 35397View attachment 35396Put them on at 10pm and temps stabilized immediately. I went to bed around 11pm and here they were at 3am when I did a quick check.View attachment 35397They probed tender after about 12 hours and I took them off, wrapped in butcher paper and put in a cooler where they are resting while I type thisView attachment 35398View attachment 35399I usually wait to post until after I pull and plate but we got a bunch of friends coming over and tomorrow is the first day of school so I am going to be busy! Cheers!
How big are those butts? I’m guessing that’s a WSM 18.

My friend recently visited New Orleans and paid multiple visits to a place called “The Joint!” He brought me back some rub which I put on one of shoulders I started smoking last night around 10pm! Used B&B logs and lump plus a heavy dose of peach and hickory. View attachment 35393View attachment 35394I generously rubbed one with the special rub from NOLA and the other I did with garlic salt and some Meat ChurchView attachment 35395View attachment 35397View attachment 35396Put them on at 10pm and temps stabilized immediately. I went to bed around 11pm and here they were at 3am when I did a quick check.View attachment 35397They probed tender after about 12 hours and I took them off, wrapped in butcher paper and put in a cooler where they are resting while I type thisView attachment 35398View attachment 35399I usually wait to post until after I pull and plate but we got a bunch of friends coming over and tomorrow is the first day of school so I am going to be busy! Cheers!
Nice looking butts Richard.

You know Richard, I am often surprised at how much I can get on my 18.5”. Those butts really look amazing! I was thinking about grilling a side of salmon for a little get together this coming weekend, I might just change direction!! I love pulled pork!

Pork looks amazing. I love how much you can tell the difference between the two rubs by the color. I hope your family has a great first day of school, my kids go back tomorrow also. My wife (college professor) doesn't start until next week.

You know Richard, I am often surprised at how much I can get on my 18.5”. Those butts really look amazing! I was thinking about grilling a side of salmon for a little get together this coming weekend, I might just change direction!! I love pulled pork!
I agree, so much more texture, regardless of how hot it is, pork is the safe bet!

What I love about doing pulled pork is that I can do a lot of it and an overnight cook. My guests should arrive soon and I have everything done except a quick grilling of the buns. It’s beer 🍺 time!

One thing I’ve learned is that as good as pulled pork is it is 1000 times better while it is actually being pressed, pulled and broken down right after unwrapping. The next time I do a shoulder I am going to have people serve while I pull it…so much moister and flavorful I believe.

Back