pulled pork...how much $ per lb.?

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
I recently did 60 lbs.(before cooking) of pulled pork for a charity event. I didn't have to pay for any of the supplies. Now people want to buy my pp on their own. What is the going price for those of you who sell it on the side? I guess you'd have to figure in the cost of all supplies(foil, charcoal, rub, vacuum bags, etc...) as well as the time involved. Is that how others do it? I have no idea how much to charge per lb. I don't want to charge too much and alienate people, yet I want to make a little extra cash. Do you have them pay in advance for the meat or do you buy it on your own? Sorry for all the questions but this part of bbq'ing is new to me and I want to get it right before I start doing it. Thank you in advance for any advice. I

I usually just ask 20 or 25 dollars per whole butt.

A lot of places around here who make worse BBQ sell them for 40-60 per whole butt.

I can usually pay for my own plus some party supplies by selling an additional one - so, that suits me.

I would charge $8 per pound. If people aren't willing to pay it, they can go somewhere else. You need to make it worth your time.

Thanks for the responses guys. I was thinking around 8-10 dollars per lb. but wasn't sure if I was in the right ballpark. That helps me out. About ready to put two on the fire as I write this. Thanks again.

Yeah 8-10 sounds right to me as well. You have to figure in time, charcoal, wood and the most important thing is weight loss during the cook. That 8lb. butt raw yields only 4-5lbs. once cooked.
icon_eek.gif

I cannot offer insight on a particular price. I also have no wish to be a killjoy. I suggest, however, that those of you who are selling your product consider procuring appropriate liability insurance and including in your pricing a component that reflects the premium for that coverage.

Please understand that in offering this suggestion, I in no way mean to imply that the food prepared by any member of this community would be suspect. Rather, I can imagine a number of scenarios where an attempt could be made to blame you in spite of impeccable food preparation practices. I offer the following examples:

1. An acquaintance who has heard stories about your exploits with a WSM approaches you and asks if you would prepare a pork butt for a party she is throwing for her parents' anniversary. The evening before the party, you buy a butt and immediately begin an overnight cook, carefully observing all proper food preparation techniques. Unfortunately (and you had no way of knowing this), the meat was tainted when you bought it. You deliver the meat to your acquaintance, who then serves it at her party. Having been prepared by an extremely talented pitmaster, the butt is a huge hit - eagerly (and quickly) devoured by most of the guests. A few hours later, a dozen people are sickened. Who gets blamed?

2. You prepare a spectacular pork butt for a customer who serves it with leftover mayonnaise-based coleslaw that sat for two hours out on the patio (in 85 degree heat) the day before. Your customer and his family are sickened by the coleslaw. Who gets blamed?

3. You deliver one of your legendary pork butts to a customer on a saturday afternoon. Just as he and his buddies are about to enjoy it, the phone rings -- your customer's teenage son has been arrested, and the party is over.

Your customer leaves to spring his son from jail, and the pork butt sits untouched on the counter -- until the next afternoon, when your customer decides, incorrectly, that it's probably OK to eat. Who gets blamed?

In each of the above situations, it is certain that you have done nothing wrong, and people were sickened by factors or events outside of your control. It is equally certain that an attempt will be made to hold you responsible. Ultimately, you will be vindicated, but it won't come cheap. Buying liability insurance costs a lot less than paying an attorney out of your own pocket.

Finally, this is not intended as a sales pitch; I do not sell insurance. I just raise this point on the possibility that it might save some TVWBB members some unnecessary grief.

Kevin, You hit the nail right on the head. It's something you think about or try not to think about.Better yet It can't happen to me!
Makes you think twice about cooking for non family members.Excellent point.

I just want to be clear - my concern above applies mostly to folks who SELL their product. I would expect people who are simply cooking for friends without charge to be covered by their homeowners' insurance.

Silly question for the people that sell on the side: $8-$10/lb - is this pre or post-cooked weight? Just curious, I'm thinking of doing this on the side as well. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
I offer the following examples:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll add another, which actually happened to a caterer insured by my employer (the food wasn't a pork butt, though):

4. You prepare a spectacular pork butt for a customer, who serves it to guests at a party. Unknown to anyone, the customer has been exposed to rotovirus (which causes abdominal cramps and diarrhea - looks like food poisoning, but isn't), and in serving the food, passes it along to the guests. Hours later, most of the guests are sick, they all assume it's food poisoning, and jump to the conclusion that it "must have been" the pork, even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with the pork, or any of the other food at the party. Who gets blamed (at least, until medical tests prove what the illness really was)?

Our caterer's kitchen was shut down for several days by the local health department, before being given the okay.

First to answer the question I charged $9 a pound cooked for Pork and $10 for beef.

Kevin has a good point about the insurance but on the same token I highly doubt you will be able to get that insurance without a health dept approved kitchen. I know it is different between states and also counties. I know in my state/county there is no way I can use my home kitchen for food service period.

I guess I would offer 2 pieces of advice. Keep it on a small scale. Second, my health dept rep told me for catered food I was to take a notebook and log the temp of the meat when I took it off the smoker and take another temp when I turned over the food to the client. Having a logbook with the temp of the meat on delivery should make a small amount of difference and at least show that you are professional should something arise.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
I cannot offer insight on a particular price. I also have no wish to be a killjoy. I suggest, however, that those of you who are selling your product consider procuring appropriate liability insurance and including in your pricing a component that reflects the premium for that coverage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm wondering how much something like this would cost?

You may want to check with your local state/county health department too. Selling prepared food is considered catering in many states and will require you to be inspected and licensed or face a fine if you get caught doing it.

Back