Pulled Pork for 100

46 lb

4 oz/person x 100 sandwiches = 400 oz / 40% loss = 666 oz or 41.99 lb to start plus ~10% margin for error = 46lb.

At a minimum.

Two 18" WSM can handle that. WIth 4 (?) bags of briquettes (2 per WSM).

Last edited:
46 lb

4 oz/person x 100 sandwiches = 400 oz / 40% loss = 666 oz or 41.99 lb to start plus ~10% margin for error = 46lb.

At a minimum.

Two 18" WSM can handle that. WIth 4 (?) bags of briquettes (2 per WSM).

If everyone will eat pork and it's the "main" course, then this quantity estimate seems about right. FWIW, I'v fed about 80 people with 36# (uncooked weight) of butts (4 in total), but that was with lots of sides. Also, I cooked all of the pork (4 butts - 2 ~8# and 2 ~10#) on a single 18.5" WSM using about 12 pounds of KBB (2/3 of an 18.6# bag).

It was crowded in there with that much meat; I don't think a single WSM would hold what you need. If you have access to another, run them both. If not, smoke them in two batches. When the first set of butts are done, pull the bone, but leave the rest in tact, wrap them tightly in foil and refrigerate. On the day of the event, reheat them in crock-pots on low for about 3-4 hours (start them when you take the "fresh" ones out for a rest). When you pull/shred, mix the reheated & the fresh and I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference.

Thanks everyone!

50 pounds was my best guess.

I have the 22" WSM. My plan is to get as much as possible on it and supplement the rest with burgers.

Thanks Again!

Thanks everyone!

50 pounds was my best guess.

I have the 22" WSM. My plan is to get as much as possible on it and supplement the rest with burgers.

Thanks Again!

If you can get a hold of butts in the 9-10# range, 6 of them should fit on the 22 (3 on each grate) with no problem. To promote airflow and get better smoke penetration, you might want to stand them up on edge. I've done that on my 18 with bamboo skewers inserted between them so they don't flop over.

My guess is if you can get 5 10 LB pork butts then you should be able to cook all of them on the WSM at the same time. The trick would be to get a 3rd rack and 4 Coke Cans. The dome on the WSM is high enough that if you got a 3rd rack, and used four coke cans filled with sand or water I guess, then you should be able to place to get the third rack to fit in the 22. The coke cans should give you enough height to give you clearance so the warm air can move around the meat uninhibited. So while you want to get as much in there as possible, if the meats are touching each then this would prevent the proper air circulation that you need to ensure a proper, even and timely cook. Heck if you had 4 racks and 8 Coke cans in theory should be able to get atleast 8 pork butts in the WSM with the needed air circulation.

Thoughts?

Back