Pulled Pork Crust

Matthew

TVWBB Pro
I was going to make pulled pork for pizza and was wondering if I cut the butts in 1/4's, if I would get more crust and that would be better on pizzas.

Yes....that is what's called burnt ends, may I suggest you start with Country Style Ribs CSR's which is a butt cut and would make it easier for you.

I don't want all burnt ends, I do want a good mix though.. That is what I was thinking about either 1/3's or more... I guess if I wanted to mass do this, for several pizzas, leave one whole and seperate the bark from the pulled meat.. I think a good pulled pork pizza is da bomb.

I would suggest just smoking the CSR's then, you will get more crust (bark) that way.

Last edited:
CSRs. Never considered that, but I could use this on nachos. Do you prep and cook the CSRs the same way you'd cook a butt? I assume for a much shorter period of time?

It's all the same, more or less. A picnic is further down the shank, but BB, CSR, shoulder roast and pork steaks are all the same. With the exception of pork steaks, you can buy whichever one is priced best. CSR's have to be watched pretty close to get the collagen melt going before the bark gets too "barky".

I always chuckle when there's a major price difference between BB and pork steaks.

Mathew;
I believe you'll find that Butts have considerably greater yield per lb. than picnics which would seriously change the "price per lb." in favor of a Butt. I would nearly always pick a butt over a picnic. They also seem to have more "luscious" moisture than a picnic...

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Since you are going to use pulled pork for your pizza, will you be using your favorite BBQ sauce in place of the usual pizza sauce?

Sounds good, send me a slice please!

Here is a cook I did where I cut a butt in quarters and cooked it up. The pieces were moist and of course had more crust since there were more pieces. I did wrap the butts for a while and put in a cooler after they were done.

I say go for it. I am going to go this again but I would recommend a boneless butt to make it easier to quarter evenly

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?53686-Non-Traditional-Pork-Butt-Experiment

Thanks, good point, that is what I was thinking... Thanks

Since you are going to use pulled pork for your pizza, will you be using your favorite BBQ sauce in place of the usual pizza sauce?

Sounds good, send me a slice please!

Yes, I have made several, but I like my Chipotle one, not too spicy, but has a jolt to it.

Back