Pulled Pork Been a Long Time

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Had a 10 pound pork shoulder in the freezer for almost two years! Finally decided to get it done.
Didn't need 10 pounds of pulled pork so I deboned it and cut it in half. Chunked out one half for future recipes and took the 5 pound roast for pulled pork.
Made up a new rub using my own rib rub and Kinder's the blend.
Used the Camp Chef with Pit Boss Competiton Blend pellets. Two hours on high smoke then dialed it up to 275 for 4 hours until it hit 165 then covered with foil it and finished at 300 until it hit 198. Again, the Camp Chef ran perfectly.
Came out great, moist and great bark. 20231005_112045.jpg

20231005_112348.jpg20231005_185925.jpg20231005_194307.jpg

Looks tasty. Sammies for lunch?
No Sammies for lunch, going to do ribs for dinner along with Barbs Pasta salad and BBQ beans need to save some room for all that.
I've learned over the years that like last night the pulled pork didn't get done until after 7pm and I pulled it after it was done about 8 pm.
Chicken tenders from the Safeway deli and a little pasta salad that Barb made yesterday for the ribs today was last nights dinner so no rush on the PP.

No Sammies for lunch, going to do ribs for dinner along with Barbs Pasta salad and BBQ beans need to save some room for all that.
I've learned over the years that like last night the pulled pork didn't get done until after 7pm and I pulled it after it was done about 8 pm.
Chicken tenders from the Safeway deli and a little pasta salad that Barb made yesterday for the ribs today was last nights dinner so no rush on the PP.
PP breakfast burritos with eggs and tater tots.

Had a 10 pound pork shoulder in the freezer for almost two years! Finally decided to get it done.
Didn't need 10 pounds of pulled pork so I deboned it and cut it in half. Chunked out one half for future recipes and took the 5 pound roast for pulled pork.
Made up a new rub using my own rib rub and Kinder's the blend.
Used the Camp Chef with Pit Boss Competiton Blend pellets. Two hours on high smoke then dialed it up to 275 for 4 hours until it hit 165 then covered with foil it and finished at 300 until it hit 198. Again, the Camp Chef ran perfectly.
Came out great, moist and great bark. View attachment 80208

View attachment 80209View attachment 80210View attachment 80211
Nice looking pig Rich.

Still have a couple packages of PP in the freezer, along with some pulled chuckie. Will be keeping an eye out for reasonable butts. It's that time of year so left some room in the freezer, even after stocking up on ribs.

Question for you all . Do you add the cooking juice/ resting juices back to the meat once you have pulled it . Find some times it can be a tad greasy but it's full of flavor

Back