Pulled chicken question

dave_k

Hi all,

for SB weekend, I was planning on doing two beer can chickens for pulled chicken sandwiches, and two bacon explosions on the same day. I figured I'd want to smoke the bacon explosions without water in the pan a little hotter so the bacon gets cripsy. Will this allow the chickens to cook slow enough to pull it?

I agree with JimK. Whole chicken, and chicken in general in my opinion benefit more from high heat. I feel like done chicken is pull-able chicken. It won't act like a pork butt per say, because of how lean a chicken already is, but it will "pull" as much as chicken will. Cook it at a higher temp for an hour or so, check it, when its done let it cool, then pull/ chop it. This is how I make chicken salad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave_k:
Hi all,

for SB weekend, I was planning on doing two beer can chickens for pulled chicken sandwiches, and two bacon explosions on the same day. I figured I'd want to smoke the bacon explosions without water in the pan a little hotter so the bacon gets cripsy. Will this allow the chickens to cook slow enough to pull it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cooking temp has no effect on being able to pull the meat. The final internal temp of the meat, dictates wether you can pull or slice the meat.
icon_wink.gif
I pretty much High Heat everything as time is short these days.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
I would brine the chicken if I was you though.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a good suggestion. Breast meat can tend to be dry if you cook until the meat is falling off the bone.

Back