Prospective first time weber customer. Your advice needed on my choices please.

You wont save much on aftermarket. Get a genuine Weber starter.

I got a genuine weber that was made for genesis silver, gold, or platinum. It actually was 2 dollars cheaper than the replacement starter at Home Depot. The push button mechanism didnt fit on my grill so i just used my old one and just used the new wires from the replacement set up. I had the little box pointed the wrong direction (up instead of to the left) so it took me a lot longer than it needed to. I also was trying to do it in the dark with a cell phone flashlight. I finally hooked up a shop light which expedited things nicely. Tomorrow i am going to clean it up to see what she looks like.

Here are the pics of my first Weber grill i picked up for $90. i added a new automatic starter for $10. I need to touch up the surface rust and clean it as well as find a left side swing tray and slide rod as this grill was missing it. Can't wait to get started tomorrow. I put the s/n pic in to see if anyone here who has more experience can help me get more info on the grill. If i am reading the serial number right it is a Genesis 1000 manufactured in 1998. I didn't know it was that old when i bought it. thanks in advance.

P.S. I had to make three different posts due to 10 pic limit rule.

PsemjUr.jpg
[/IMG]

H7HMtkV.jpg
[/IMG]

rnNHvxg.jpg
[/IMG]

fIdcp0e.jpg
[/IMG]

ue43xlV.jpg
[/IMG]

3JfOHVd.jpg
[/IMG]

KVjXFb0.jpg
[/IMG]

3Qkzu8O.jpg
[/IMG]

dS7m2TW.jpg

KNonspt.jpg

Last edited:
Bryant, the silver B is basically a remodeled Genesis 1000. I've had both at the same time my 1999 1000 and a 2002 Silver B. They both cook well the silver b is a 5 bar and my 1000 was a 13 bar. The real only difference was the silver was a little more prone to flare up, with the 13FB's and the deeper box kept the flare ups to few and far between on the 1000.

A lot of folks like the early genesis grills because of the slates on the shelves which they replace with stained wood which makes a truly beautiful grill vs. the thermoset shelves. They also have a little more of the classic look. Cooking wise really not a whole lot of difference, there still a whole lot better for a third of the price compared to the Chinese junk there selling today.

Get a 1000 or a silver clean it up, put good quality SS FBs, a good SS grate, same with the burners and 20 years from know you'll still be cooking on it.

Thanks Rich. This is what i did. 1998 Genesis 1000 Redhead. Cant wait to fix the wood.

So i should shoot for a 2009 and earlier model genesis to get the quality i am looking for? I do remember seeing a grill with the control knobs on the right side but it was a spirit 310 that is 5 or six yrs old $120 :( which doesn't match the criteria above. Do the older models have side burners or searing stations or are they not needed on the older grills. Some reviews have complained about the newer Weber spirit and genesis line not getting hot enough as the competition.

If i would not go with a weber what would you recommend? (Make and Model and yr if relevant)

Thanks for your thoughts.

P.S. what do you think of this one? https://cleveland.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-gas-grill/6219244652.html

That CL listing looks very nice. IMO a little on the high price side I'd be trying to grab it for $100 or less but it's a great starter grill. As for others it depends on your budget and what kind of cooking you want to do. For instance many times I'll see something like this https://janesville.craigslist.org/spo/d/dcs-grill/6223284759.html an owner just gives in on and lets go cheap. That is how I got my Wolf grill the owner just wanted it off her patio knew it needed some TLC and basically said "come today and it's yours for $150" me and my dad got there and I gladly gave her the $150. Heck as big and heavy as it was and all 304SS it was worth 3x that in scrap metal!
You'll also find other brands out there i.e. Viking, PGS, MHP, Broilmaster and so on. Many of these are VERY high quality products. I managed to score a Broilmaster for free a few years back. I used the dickens out of it. Then decided to go a different direction (deck getting too crowded) and ended up selling it for like $150.
Stuff is out there, also if you go the "new" route don't be afraid to look at other product that is not Weber. Remember Weber is not Weber any more. So bottom line the corporation calling themselves Weber are perhaps simply putting out specs to the lowest Chinese bidder. (I could be wrong here but doubt it). Anyway there is good stuff out there. Don't be afraid to ask around here too like you did. Post the link to the ad. Odds are someone here may have had experience with the product

Nice grill. I have a genesis 1000 too. I wouldn't trade it for any other grill out there.

But IMO you can't go wrong with a weber grill. Despite them outsourcing to overseas they still make a fine product.

Back