Pros/cons of WSM 18.5" versus 22.5"

It's a V shaped hunk of metal that allows you to tent your meat over it. Picks it up a bit in the middle nd brings in the edges a bit.

I love my 18" and fuel efficiency and temp control is what it it all about. 15lb packer? Sure, just shove a hunk of wood under the middle or use a V rack. I usually do 12-13lb. I can do 3 racks of ribs but you might use a rib rack and trim the edge ribs to set around the perimeter.

The original Weber rib rack works fine for draping brisket over.
$15. I don't like using a piece of wood or something because it blocks heat to a pretty good part of the underside of that brisket.
Screenshot_20201204-202103.png

it works better for that than cooking ribs because it's so narrow that the ribs tend to flop over and curl over on it if you're not careful. I have the bigger stainless rack also. It works great I put bamboo skewers through the ribs to hold them all upright in place.... And set it on the smoker.

Well now I think I've talked myself into buying a Grilla Kong Kamado grill/smoker. The grates are about 20" so right between the size of the medium and large WSM but shorter obviously. Can still install a controller if needed but might not need it since I think the Kamado's are stable since all the ceramic.
I love my WSM 14 and my 22 in Master Touch, but if I could swing it I would be getting a Weber Kamado right now. You are thinking about at the right time, Weber just released there 2nd generation that make it much more affordable in my mind. If you are going Kamado go Weber Summit Kamado!

Alright Zane well you went there so here we go. I mentioned that I had all 3 WSM so I used that as my example when you were looking at the WSM 18 or 22, but now you mentioned a Komodo style so let’s fast forward to 2020.

In April of 2020 I had the opportunity to get a Weber Summit Charcoal for a really good price. Since then I have not used any of my WSM at all. The only grill that has been used since April is the 26” mini ranch kettle twice and only because it was convenient with the cold weather.

if you can justify the cost I would highly recommend a Weber summit. You can grill, you can smoke and you can go indirect. At 24” it will handle racks of ribs flat like the 22” WSM. I’ve done 2 packer briskets (not at the same time) without any space problems and they turned out great. Easily you can get 225° for low and slow or 700° plus for grilling on the Weber charcoal summit.

Skip the WSM and go Summit charcoal...and you’ll be a happy smoker ;)
Based what happen to RMiles: https://tvwbb.com/threads/weber-summit-kamado-e6-initial-review.84643/ I would have to retract my recommendation of going Charcoal Summit. If you end up going Kamado style I wouldn’t go with the Gen 2 Weber but rather some other brand

I've had all 3, ended up getting rid of the 22. That being said, I never cook for large groups so the 14 and 18 fit all my needs. The 18 sees most of the action because it is kept outside. I do bust the 14 out of the garage every once in a while and hook it up to my Weber table.

Back