Pros & Cons of Pellet Grills vs. Weber Gas Grills

I agree with enjoying trying out all kinds of grills...my backyard proves it!!!!

Hey those of you who might be interested, here is a link where Ray Carnes, one of Rec Tec's founders and the primary spokesperson does an admittedly not impartial comparison of the Rec Tec RT-680 - since supplanted by the RT-700 "Bull". You will get the flavor of Ray's enthusiasm if you give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMZsUhfX9Y

Here's a guy whose BBQ videos I have enjoyed, Daryl Smith of Bad Beast Barbecue. He now has three Rec Tecs. He certainly isn't impartial, either, but in this video he gives a rundown of the Rec Tec Bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF75mODTKg

Here's a very long video that I haven't watched in its entirety, but the reviewer compares a GMG Daniel Boone to a Weber Genesis II. Might me helpful if you have the time to see a more detailed analysis. This one is more neutral in its approach.
No link for the 3rd video?

You really cant compare 2 different styles of cookers imo,I love my Webers but they cook totally different than my Pit Boss Austin LX, I bought the PB last may and it has been great,it has a slide to open up the flames from the fire pot for direct grilling. Temps run pretty consistent but does have a swing and I think that's to help it produce more smoke at lower temps. The smoke flavor isn't as strong due to the efficiency of the burn,the higher you go the lower the smoke flavor . A PID controller isn't needed to produce good food but offers better temp control for folks that are worried about the trip instead of the destination imo. The Weber's will be the last grills to ever leave my house , also cant compare them to a gas grill ,PB now have a 5 year warranty on them and that's a lot more than some others give. Try some food from 1 of them before you spend $ on 1,it may not suit you if you like a lot of smoke flavor.

I think that is pretty sound advice. While I have had some really excellent results, I don't think everyone would love a pellet grill. My results so far are that what I have gotten is generally somewhere between my charcoal/wood kettle (or Green Egg) and food done on my Weber gas grill augmented with wood chips. Some describe it as a little bit "cleaner." I don't know about that.

I have also started experimenting with using a smoker tube to increase the smoke when needed inside my Rec Tec. Another thing that I think helps is adding some pellets with a significant charcoal content to the overall mix of hardwood. I need more experience to say so with conviction, but it does seem to give the pellet grill a little more of traditional BBQ flavor. My Rec Tec does produce some very nice "smoke rings" but from what I understand that name is a misnomer and has more to do with meat temperature and grill temperature.

I have also started experimenting with using a smoker tube to increase the smoke when needed inside my Rec Tec. Another thing that I think helps is adding some pellets with a significant charcoal content to the overall mix of hardwood. I need more experience to say so with conviction, but it does seem to give the pellet grill a little more of traditional BBQ flavor. My Rec Tec does produce some very nice "smoke rings" but from what I understand that name is a misnomer and has more to do with meat temperature and grill temperature.

The only "knock" I've heard about with Rec Tec is low smoke. I've read several users are using smoker tubes, particularly the A-maze-n brand to help, but have no experience with either. One other thing you might try is to put your cook on rack elevated above some water in a pan. After having my first couple pastramis come out too dry, I tried it to help retain moisture. Found it does work well in that regard, with the side benefit of adding a bit more smokey flavor. Evidently, smoke works better with steam. Some of the very high-end smokers (particularly Myron Mixon) have dedicated water trays, so I assume there must be something to it. (That reminds me, I still have a decades-old, but never-used, Weber "Steam & Chips" unit out in the garage.)

Like you, I wanted get back some of that charcoal flavor I used enjoy back in my kettle days, so tried these charcoal pellets: https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/pellet-pro-exclusive-charcoal-pellets-20lb-bag/ and also gave bag to a friend to try. Unfortunately, neither of us could tell a difference. Truth be told, I can't hardly tell the difference in different flavor pellets either though, so it's probably my tastebuds. It might be worth a try for someone like you with much better taste than me:) In my case, I've come to the conclusion that to get real charcoal flavor, you have to cook with real charcoal. Fortunately, there are many good choices out there in that regard, but I'm just too time-constrained to find or use one.

Regarding smoke rings, there's a very interesting science-based article regarding them on amazingribs.com you might want to check out.

Last edited:
Victor,
The SmokeDaddy are the ones I bought. I have a lot more experimenting to do to say for sure what I think. Lumberjack brand sells a “Char Hickory” blend type that gets good reviews. I decided to go with SmokeDaddy first because in my Rec Tec purchase I landed so many pounds of hardwood pellets - including quite a few regular varieties of Lumberjack - that I figured I could make my own blends for now.

Thanks for the water tray tip. I would agree that if the high end makers use it, imitation of that might be a very helpful strategy. I will definitely try it:cool:!

I have only limited experience to date but would say that sometimes the Rec Tec seems to smoke really well and other times not as much. I will need more time and trial and error with more pellet types and temperatures to say more. The smoker tube, though, is a pretty easy augment. I plan to use it a lot.

P.s. I have an unused Weber Steam n whatever, too. I am keeping it for whenever I can build out my early version Genesis. It was an authentic feature on the first Genesis IV. I plan to make a “1.75” version that incorporates features from the Genesis I, II and IV.

Nothing against Rec Tecs, but check out the Traeger Timberline series too. I have 3 of the 850's, they have been bulletproof in the 6-8 months I've had them. Double wall insulated and the software/programmable component is amazing.
Disclosure - I am sponsored by them, but I'm telling the truth re: my experiences.
And yeah, you really can't compare a pellet grill with a gas grill.

Lumberjack brand sells a “Char Hickory” blend type that gets good reviews.

IMHO - Lumberjack is #1, and nothing else comes close.
I will not cook a piece of beef in my pellet smoker without
at least a 50% mix of Char Hickory.
Brisket + Char Hickory + Cherry = Perfection

I haven't seen the Yoder name mentioned here. My client manager was looking at both the Rec Tec and the Yoder, and bought the Yoder. He's been happier than a gopher in soft dirt with it.

I haven't seen the Yoder name mentioned here. My client manager was looking at both the Rec Tec and the Yoder, and bought the Yoder. He's been happier than a gopher in soft dirt with it.

My understanding is that Yoder would be listed with the other "high-end" pellet grill makers. Much more ruggedly built but also pretty pricey. I am sure others might have more knowledge.

IMHO - Lumberjack is #1, and nothing else comes close.
I will not cook a piece of beef in my pellet smoker without
at least a 50% mix of Char Hickory.
Brisket + Char Hickory + Cherry = Perfection

Dave,

I definitely plan to try it; I just have so many pellets on hand already that I am afraid they will deteriorate before I can use them up. In the meantime, I am going to try and mimic your "recipe" by mixing the SmokeDaddy charcoal pellets with Lumberjack Hickory and Cherry ones.

From what I have read and also based on some use, I agree with your high marks for Lumberjack. I also got a couple bags of CookinPellets "Perfect Mix," and they do seem really good, based both on reading and a little bit of personal use.

Yoder is another excellent product. However, while my wife has no problem
with my grill collecting hobby, or helping out with my grill flipping hobby,
the day I mention spending $2000 or more on a grill, I will surely find a
skillet planted in my ear.

Yeah, that would put me out sleeping with my grills for sure:rolleyes:! I had a hard enough time with the $750 I paid for the used Rec Tec full of accessories and three hundred pounds of pellets.

<chuckle> "but, honey...." <CLANG>

From what he's told me, construction is what sold him the most on the Yoder over the Rec Tec. Firmly in the "buy once, cry once" category.

I am frequently reminded just how completely spoiled I am with my g/f. A year ago, when I was dithering over smokers, she more or less beat me about the head and neck area and said "BUILD WHAT YOU WANT, don't settle for something what will just 'do'." I have more than $2g tied up just in materials for my monster (but that came out of my money, not "house" or "joint" money.)

<chuckle> "but, honey...." <CLANG>

From what he's told me, construction is what sold him the most on the Yoder over the Rec Tec. Firmly in the "buy once, cry once" category.

I am frequently reminded just how completely spoiled I am with my g/f. A year ago, when I was dithering over smokers, she more or less beat me about the head and neck area and said "BUILD WHAT YOU WANT, don't settle for something what will just 'do'." I have more than $2g tied up just in materials for my monster (but that came out of my money, not "house" or "joint" money.)

I can see why he made that choice. It does come down, in part, to how much quality each person can afford. There is, however, also a much less important issue but still a driver in making decisions. Style. I think that is where Weber did such a cool thing in gas grills, and in my opinion Rec Tec does with pellet grills, especially their latest offering like my "Bull." When Weber came out with the Genesis, it wasn't really a more solid grill than, say Broilmaster or Ducane of those days. But put the Genesis next to one of those from then and the difference in style is night and day.

257krjl.jpg

efBigcb.jpg

I realize you can take this to the extent of ignoring quality, but I feel that Weber (especially in the early Genesis days) and Rec Tec both try to make something a cut above the average of their similarly priced competitors. Today there are some Nexgrills that do look really cool, but I am less certain about their grilling ability and especially their durability.

no7kns.jpg

292bv3p.jpg

https://nexgrill.com/products/evolu...el3J9ByLWHLL8tR2TsHgktH1CgjBQNyhoC4o8QAvD_BwE

You could probably make some similar comparisons among pellet grill models. All I would say is that my Rec Tec seems solid, and though certainly not like a Yoder, MAK, etc., I think it is very decent quality.

But sitting on my deck I think it has a really cool look, better than any other pellet grills I have seen so far. (Admittedly just my own taste, of course.) These are NOT my Rec Tec Bull, but I hope to post some of my own pics, soon. I love those "bull horn" handles, the inside light (lense pops off to go in the dishwasher if you want), and the fact that it can fit SIX racks of ribs just on the main set of grates - more with the second stainless tray the guy I bought it from included.

xI612yv.jpg

I3Vfuq8.jpg

11ruem0.jpg

Last edited:
IMHO - Lumberjack is #1

Very much agree, but my preference is their MHC Comp Blend over Char Hickory (though I dare not argue with someone who's mastered brisket):p. Side benefits to LJ pellets seem to be more consistent temps and leaving less ash than the (many) others I've tried (resulting, of course, in fewer firebox clean-outs). Unfortunately, LJ is sometimes a bit more expensive and not as widely available as some others. (I have to get them from bulk-purchaser 40 miles away and occasionally have to use cheap Pit Boss Comp Blend from Wallymart in a pinch, though it works out OK.) For now, it sounds like Jon can save some money by using up existing inventory and still be able to experiment with a wood-charcoal pellet mix to see if he likes (or even notices) a difference in flavor. He will probably need some experience with smoking in order to appreciate moving up the "pellet chain" to Lumberjack in any event though, and I would also recommend trying Lumberjack once he gets to that point.

The Cookin' Pellets Jon has are also a high-end brand, so he should have a solid basis for comparison with Lumberjack later.

Last edited:
I plan to give my parents their first smoker, but I do not understand the characteristics. You can advise options where you can buy them, proven. At the moment I am considering a model Z Grills ZPG-7002, according to reviews is good.

Back