Proper way to add fuel during cook

Hank Hill

TVWBB Fan
I am going to be performing my 2nd butt cook tomorrow. Last time I ran out of fuel in the final leg of the cook.

My question is, "What is the proper technique to add fuel to the WSM without stirring up ash onto the meat?"
icon_rolleyes.gif

If faced with that I use a garden trowel to get the coals in--gently. If you close the top vent completely before removing the door, you set up more of a scenario where the door becomes the exit point for the heat (and most of the ash you might stir up) rather than the lid. Remember to re-open the vent completely after replacing the door.

First thing to do is use a cooking method without water. Second thing to do is to fill the ring FULL. If you're using lump, be sure to adjust the pieces for a tight fit. You should be able to cook a couple of butts without refueling.

Kevin has given you one method for adding charcoal. The best method for keeping ash off the food is not the easiest or safest (especially if you're using water) - The Squat. Basically, pull the top and middle sections of the WSM off of the charcoal bowl. Then you can tend the fire any way you want and not get ash on the meat. Personally, I wouldn't even try this with water and even without, the meat makes the WSM pretty heavy but it can be done.

I've never reloaded. I would feel very comfortable bringing a butt in the house and finishing in the oven. After a full ring of charcoal and probably 10+ hours in the WSM, the meat has all the smoke and flavor you're going to get. A couple hours in the oven is no big deal.

Good luck with your cook.

Cool, these are some great responses.

However, Kevin, silly question...are the coals you insert aready lit? Or can I simply add unlit coals and have the lit coals detonate them?

And Jerry, when you bring to the oven, are the butts wrapped in foil?

Not a silly question. I add lit--and not many usually (it depends). You can add unlit but then you are usually hanging out waiting to see what will happen as the unlit lights.

Jerry is right. The best is not to have to add fuel. I don't do it often--it's more when I decide to do successive cooks over the course of an entire weekend (I almost never mix meats). I do use water if I am doing low/slows so partial disassembling isn't a good option for me, but even when I am cooking with nothing in the pan (usual for me) I don't disassemble. I find closing the upper vent works pretty well (I do the same thing if simply needing to stir the coals). If stirred gently, the ash can be minimized. Most that isn't will go out the door if the upper vent is closed. What little that might end up on the meat I am not concerned with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank Hill:
Jerry, when you bring to the oven, are the butts wrapped in foil? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Either foiled or unfoiled would work just fine. If they're not foiled, I would try to get them on some sort of rack so the juices can drip, but right on a cookie sheet would work too.

I agree with Jerry. I've had over 12 hour cooks on one FULL ring of K coals. When absolutely necessary (like Kevin, serial cooks) I disassemble (I have not used water for several years since the clay dish mod was first suggested).

The only time I have to add coals is when I didn't start with a full ring (which I rarely do) and underestimated how long the cook was going to take. Using a clay saucer and Rancher I can get 24 hours from a very full ring. However, to answer your question, when I've had to add I add unlit though the coffee can I used to start off my MM. What it allows me to do is aim where my coals are going and then I just roll them through the coffee can. Never had a problem with ash. Only downside, you cannot place coals to the far side of the WSM.

If you don't want to do the "Hot Squat" those Fridge 12 packs of soda cartons work rather well for adding charcoal. Break the lip off the front where you pull the can out, add charcoal to the box, remove the door on the WSM and dump it in.
icon_wink.gif

I am with Bryan I do the Hot Squat too but usually if I am adding fuel I probably need to add water too.

Guys if I am adding more fuel after an overnight could I have added to many lit in the beginning using the Minion?

Back