Propane - Fill vs. Exchange

Brian: I was told that those exchange tanks have to be inspected and while not officially re-certified, do pass requirements for refilling and reselling.

I use 30lbs tanks mostly and it runs $20 to fill ,1 place is a stickler for dates the others not,I have a 100lb tank I need to refill thanks for the reminder lol

You are getting someone else's used tank and you have no way of knowing how that tank was taken care of, etc. Seems like most of the tanks at the exchange places are old expired ones that have been re-painted and then get a recert sticker slapped on them.

Better to just get a new tank. They're good for 12 years. The peace of mind and safety for me and my family is worth the $30.00 IMO.

Blue Rhino states that they automatically perform the re-qualification process on exchanges. I feel entirely safe that I can do an exchange rather than buying a new tank. I could not imagine the potential liability of slapping-on a cert sticker if it were not tested.

https://www.bluerhino.com/Help/FAQ/Tank-Exchange

Those of you who can get your tanks re-filled at Costco are getting a great deal! The closest Costco is about 55 miles from here & unfortunately doesn't re-fill propane.

One thing with doing the tank exchange when your current one expires..

You are getting someone else's used tank and you have no way of knowing how that tank was taken care of, etc. Seems like most of the tanks at the exchange places are old expired ones that have been re-painted and then get a recert sticker slapped on them.

Better to just get a new tank. They're good for 12 years. The peace of mind and safety for me and my family is worth the $30.00 IMO.

Trying to figure out exactly what it means for a tank to be "taken care of". All of mine sit out uncovered year round through the heat, rain and snow. Have done it that way for 30+ years now with absolutely no problems at all.

I think they got serious about tank age when they decided all propane tanks had to have a float assembly to prevent over filling and they added a triangle knob to tell they had been converted ,when I have tanks filled around here every single place will crack the bleeder valve and pump till liquid comes out,I always back away when they fill them ,I can count on 1 hand the times they put it on a scale and weigh it in over 30 years getting refills

I go to the “Ferrell gas” dealer here, write my name and number on a tag, leave it, they recertify and call me when it’s ready(next day) it’s cheap and easy I’ve only filled two in a year but, I like the guy at the place, and I’m sure the patio heater will need filling pretty soon! One to use and one backstock, always be prepared, next week I’m hoping to use the patio again so, I will test fire the heater and see if I need to change and fill the tank.

Back