Producing Smoke Flavor on Weber 435

Mike-BBQ

TVWBB Member
I am new to the Weber 435. Easy carry over experience from my old Char Broil for the basics of direct and indirect cooking. Is there a reliable way to produce smokey flavors or even do ribs reasonably well on the 435? In the past, I have tried smoke boxes, smoke tubes, but none really produced anything reliable or good flavor. My old El Cheapo Brinkmen has died. I could get a new dedicated smoker, but was wondering if I could do some smoking on the 435.

Honestly I have done very well with simple foil packs. I use either pellets or chips, I keep a spare or 2 loaded and handy as well. This gives me the ability to keep the smoke rolling.

I used the v shaped smoke box and filled it with wood chips previously, but lately I have been experimenting with the smoke tube and pellets and it is very easy to do and creates a lot of smoke. Either way has worked well for me.

I guess I would have to say that if you aren’t happy with the results from a smoke box or pellet tube on your gas grill, you probably need to add a smoker or kettle to your arsenal or, for more convenience and reliable results, a pellet grill. @Bruce has said grills are like guns: there are different ones for different purposes.

I use a ss smoke box and rotate out chips every so often-seems to work well. Sometimes combine some cherry with apple and hickory for more complex smoke flavor

I agree with Jon find yourself a used Performer or WSM there will not be a problem with smoke as you are dictating how many wood chunks to use and whether its ribs, pork butt, or whatever you can't discount the charcoal flavor either. FInd yourself a used Performer add a SNS Deluxe to it and as I speak doing ribs right now. I like the Performer because to me its more versatile I do wings on that at least 8-10 times a year maybe ribs 5-6 times a year. You do lose some real estate with the SNS so depending on what your smoking quantity and goal is maybe a WSM is a better choice. I can't answer that only you can.

If you go the used Performer make sure it has gas assist which makes your life easier and better to have it then not even if you decide not to use it.

By the way I have a Silver C that is my daily driver so there is no way in my house that grill is ever going away. Pretty much when I use charcoal its always on the weekends, retired but to lazy during the weekdays.

Mike where are you in FL I would search Facebook Marketplace in your area if you are in Tampa was doing a search there is somebody selling one for 89.00 used 1 week with a link most likely a scam. Your not finding a Performer that looks like that one in Tampa for $89 bucks.

Great information all. Thanks!

One of these days, I will get a new dedicated smoker, but with the new 435, I am trying to teach myself all I can.

If I use a foil, box, or a tube, do you start this before you turn on the grill, or about the same time since it usually is 10 minutes to get the grill burners up to speed. Most of my steaks are less than 2", so most steaks, burgers are direct heat.

Any possibility doing ribs in the 435 this way, with the box/tube on one side or upper rack, and doing the ribs opposite?

Great information all. Thanks!

One of these days, I will get a new dedicated smoker, but with the new 435, I am trying to teach myself all I can.

If I use a foil, box, or a tube, do you start this before you turn on the grill, or about the same time since it usually is 10 minutes to get the grill burners up to speed. Most of my steaks are less than 2", so most steaks, burgers are direct heat.

Any possibility doing ribs in the 435 this way, with the box/tube on one side or upper rack, and doing the ribs opposite?
Pretty easy. For a short cook, I simply make one foil pouch, longer I make 2, 3 or whatever I feel I need. Drop the pouch on the flavo bar(s), start the grill. It will begin to smoke as grill is heating up. Once everything is where you want it, set the grill temps lay on the food, invite one or all of us over and slap on the "da meat". We'll all be happy to lend you our opinions of taste :D

Back