Problems with SmokeFires

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
So I have question I have been reading about EX6 problems but is the EX4 having the same issues ? And can you rate Webers support for these fixes.

Kevin, I can not comment about the EX4 because I have not been paying too much attention to that unit. I will say that Weber has been very good in responding to my issues. My problem with their customer service was (I believe) due to their web site. They turn things on and off like automated suggestions and things get lost when this happens. With that said, Weber is going from burning charcoal to electric-feed pellets, wifi, bluetooth, PIDs, etc. That is an immense learning curve for their support team. And some individuals are better than others.

As I have replaced various parts and learned about my EX6, I am coming to believe that many of my problems may have been self inflicted by using non-Weber pellets and not being patient with the controller as it stabilizes at the set temperature. That was not the entire problem but it added insult to injury.

Thanks for the reply I have all most always had good support from Weber only one time did I have a problem.
I am trying to research the EX4 problems but what I read is like Amazon reviews.
Thanks again.

I want to love this grill and I feel like I have had less problems than most. However, I tried cooking pork chops today and after 45 minutes the grill has not reached the 250 target temperature.

I want to love this grill and I feel like I have had less problems than most. However, I tried cooking pork chops today and after 45 minutes the grill has not reached the 250 target temperature.
Is this a EX4 or EX6? Have you been talking to Weber about this issue as I hear there is a update to the software and another updaye.

That sucks!

Thought I had it figured out but the temperature fluctuations are driving me insane right now. This thing is all over the place.

Is this a EX4 or EX6? Have you been talking to Weber about this issue as I hear there is a update to the software and another updaye.
The ex6. If this grill didn’t produce such good food I probably would have returned it. The temperatures on this grill fluctuate a lot. It can also be temperamental when adjusting temps mid cook.

The ex6. If this grill didn’t produce such good food I probably would have returned it. The temperatures on this grill fluctuate a lot. It can also be temperamental when adjusting temps mid cook.
Right! Watch this pork shoulder will be amazing but I’ll stress the whole cook.

From what I am reading from reveiws on other sites and u tube stuff the 4 has much less issues if any. Actually the 4 is more our size just the two of us.

I have the ex4 and have had several issues. I had a faulty controller, which Weber replaced no issues. I have had the pellet feed issues, my ex4 cam with the slide installed but I don’t think it actually does much! Also pellet bridging, I still need to get hold of Weber about the new welded shoot to see if it makes a difference! That being said in general if you check the pellets every 3-4 hours it’s fine. When I did an overnight cook for a brisket I used a external thermometer to alarm when the pit temp got to low (happened twice). So whilst the food it makes it great, it’s not something you could leave for 8 hours at a time in my experience! For over style ease of use I can’t really fault it, I think with a few tweaks it would be excellent! Plus I’m not sure about android but the notifications on iOS suck, it doesn’t even tell you what the notification is most of the time!

Had my EX4 going last night for an hour smoking garlic per a Meathead recipe. I then added a tri tip intending to continue at 225. Shortly after the temp started to tank. At 150 I fired up the Genesis to finish it in total frustration. I am going to go out and look at it now. I have to updated firmware and the temps the last 3 times were good. Any thoughts? Been a Weber fan for decades but am losing my patience.

Had my EX4 going last night for an hour smoking garlic per a Meathead recipe. I then added a tri tip intending to continue at 225. Shortly after the temp started to tank. At 150 I fired up the Genesis to finish it in total frustration. I am going to go out and look at it now. I have to updated firmware and the temps the last 3 times were good. Any thoughts? Been a Weber fan for decades but am losing my patience.
I hate hearing that!! I have also had some issues but have been able to complete all my cooks. I just ask everyone to email Weber so they know we need a new update.

When I first had issues they sent me a control panel and a new auger. I installed the panel and all seemed to work for 3 cooks. I did not replace the auger. I am doing that now. Yesterday the temps were uneven and after close to two hours there was far less ash then normal. Tried to heat it up 3 times today with no luck. Will report back with the new auger.

When I first had issues they sent me a control panel and a new auger. I installed the panel and all seemed to work for 3 cooks. I did not replace the auger. I am doing that now. Yesterday the temps were uneven and after close to two hours there was far less ash then normal. Tried to heat it up 3 times today with no luck. Will report back with the new auger.
Please do.

Back