Problem with WSM!

KeithM

I did my first winter cook on my 18.5" WSM on New Years Eve and noticed that the base and the stacker (middle piece) no longer form a seal. When I first put the stacker on, there were some areas where i could see 1/4" gap between the base and stacker. I twisted the stacker around to get the best seal I could but there were still small gaps. During the cook, the best I was able to do was get the temp down to 345 (which was fine since it was a Prime Rib) and that was with all bottom vents open to 1/4. It was -3 and snowing outside.

Is this common during the winter where metal has a tendency to contract or is this a warranty issue?

hey Keith, I'd call Weber and tell them your situation... this has not happened to me and I use my 18"WSM every weekend and it's cold now (15'F) in Wisconsin.
I've used it in -3'F this season and everything is in "shape".
Again, I'd call Weber, they'll help you out quickly.
icon_cool.gif

Keith,

While you're waiting for Weber CS, you can make a gasket with aluminum foil.

You shouldn't have to wait too long though, Weber customer service is generally excellent

Jim & Keith are right,..give weber a call, their customer service is fabulous! And make the foil gasket they mentioned so you can smoke efficiently while awaiting parts
icon_wink.gif
Try to measure the charcoal bowl and center section to see if they're out of round,...usually it's the bowl....that'll help customer service help you
icon_smile.gif
Aloha!

Back