Problem with my Thermopen Classic

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I could not get the cover to the battery compartment open on my Thermopen Classic. I tried a coin. I then got a big screwdriver and it would not budge, so much so that I tore up the cover with the screwdriver.

I contacted Thermoworks asking them how the hell to get the cover off. They sent me a free shipping label to get it to them and said they could get the cover off for me. I sent it to them. And now they want to charge me $35 for the repair. Since I have another Thermopen MK4, I told them just to keep it. It was not worth $35. I've spent a lot of money with Thermoworks. Yes , my Thermopen Classic was a long way out of warranty. But really, ya can't get battery cover off without tearing it up ??

I like their products but I really don't think I'll be needing any more of them soon .

20220829_134712.jpg

I remember this came up in another thread. I used a 1/2" wood chisel to open mine because the coin/screwdriver was doing just like yours.
I think that rubber or silicone o ring they use to keep the compartment water resistant gets dried out or gunked up and needs to be lubed occasionally.

Good to know,I have some watch gasket silicone lube that should be good for that job. Sorry for the headache you had but, sharing for the benefit of others is very kind.

I've got a lot of money tied up with Thermoworks too. So far my MK4 hasn't needed a battery change. I could see shipping charge to get it back to you, but certainly not $35!

I remember this came up in another thread. I used a 1/2" wood chisel to open mine because the coin/screwdriver was doing just like yours.
I think that rubber or silicone o ring they use to keep the compartment water resistant gets dried out or gunked up and needs to be lubed occasionally.
Yep, that's what I use to get mine open. Just replaced the battery in one of the Thermopops even with the wood chisel it was a pain, but I got it off.

That's too bad znd certainly a less than supportive response from Thermopen. I had an issue with mine. I estimate it was approximately 6-8 years old. It started to flicker with readings. New batteries did nothing. I reached out via email. They responded quickly but did want fairly detailed purchase info. It was a gift and the retailer was out of business.
Anyway, I was told to mail it to them. They repaired and refurbished it free of charge.

I'm glad you / they sorted it out. Sounds like a communication SNAFU. They offer repairs for $35.

When I had mine apart I put a small amount of lube, I think it was di electric grease on the cap and I can now open the battery area fairly easily.

And, I think I've posted this before. It is a good step-by-step for repairing the older ones. I'm not sure it applies to the MK4 model or the Thermapen ONE.

I have three of the extra big and loud timers, on two of them I had the fold up stand break by my mistake. I called both times to order a new stand and both times they sent them to me free of any charges.

I have three of the extra big and loud timers, on two of them I had the fold up stand break by my mistake. I called both times to order a new stand and both times they sent them to me free of any charges.
Same.
I love the timer, but that kickstand is too flimsy.

Back