Probes thru eyelets

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
My WSM has two BBQ Guru eyelets installed which are designed to allow probes to pass thru w/o pinching probe wires and allowing air leaks thru lids and doors. Problems is that my Maverick ET-73 meat probe has a 90 degree bend in the probe that prevents it from passing thru the eyelet.
Has anyone bent a probe such as this to allow it to pass? I am afraid of damaging the probe if I bend it, however I need to get it with less of a bend so it will pass thru.

In theory you should be able to bend the probe a small amount without damaging it. Unless they've done something very odd there is a thermocouple at the tip and just two fine wires running down the length of the probe. The concern would be putting a kink in the thin steel probe wall that could pinch the wires pinch.

Another method (other than the eyelets) is to cut a small slot in the top of the door, extending about 3/4 inch from the edge and anout 1/8 inch wide. You can then open the door, route your probes, and then close the door with the wire lying in the slot. The advantage here is that the probe does not need to fit thru the access hole. I have two on mine, one for a food probe and one for a grate probe.

Morrey,

Are you sure the probe won't go in. I use those same probes with eyelets (not the BBQ Guru ones) and I can get the 90* probes through it with a little turning and finessing (sp?). It takes a little bit to figure out how to turn the probe the right way to get it through, but it will go. Or your eyelets could be different and not allowing it. Good luck.

Kg

I use my ET-73 with my WSM all the time. The meat probe is the one with the 90 degree bend. I have never had any problem snaking the probe through the BBQ Guru eyelets, and I haven't had to bend the probes at all. Try again.

Thanks Frank.....I took your advice and finally got the meat probe thru the eyelet! I took a small drill bit and lightly reamed out the eyelet just a shade. Thats all it took and I was able to twist and turn the meat probe thru the eyelet. Good tip. Thanks!!!

I have a new WSM and just ordered and received the probe eylets from BBQ Guru. My question is where is the best place to drill the holes in the side of the WSM for installing the eylets?

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
My WSM has two BBQ Guru eyelets installed which are designed to allow probes to pass thru w/o pinching probe wires and allowing air leaks thru lids and doors. Problems is that my Maverick ET-73 meat probe has a 90 degree bend in the probe that prevents it from passing thru the eyelet.
Has anyone bent a probe such as this to allow it to pass? I am afraid of damaging the probe if I bend it, however I need to get it with less of a bend so it will pass thru. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

RDOwens is correct. The Guru eyelets utilize the wholes from the support brackets/feet. You remove the top screw from the support and insert the eyelet there. Should be covered in the instructions that come with the eyelets?

Thanks guys, I should have taken time to read the instructions that came with the eyelets. I just made an assumption that I would have to drill holes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JIRodriguez:
Here is what I did... and my probe also has a 90° bend in it as well.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/945107275 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I follow JL and did his trick in my 18.5. Worked fine and I have no trouble at all getting my 90* probe angle through the 1/2" long grommet I added. Rich

I was just ordering the eyelets from BBQ Guru. I prefer to fit the eylets into the original bolt locations holding the cooking grids than to drill new holes which might eventually rust. It is a small price to pay.

But I have a brand new ET-73 also labeled as RediCheck. The meat probe is not really 90 degrees square. Mine has a sort-of-rounded 90-degree bend to it. I am hoping it will fit through the grommets from BBQ Guru.

I have an email into them asking about this.

Dave D
WSM 18.5
NorCal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DaveD:
I was just ordering the eyelets from BBQ Guru. I prefer to fit the eylets into the original bolt locations holding the cooking grids than to drill new holes which might eventually rust. It is a small price to pay.

But I have a brand new ET-73 also labeled as RediCheck. The meat probe is not really 90 degrees square. Mine has a sort-of-rounded 90-degree bend to it. I am hoping it will fit through the grommets from BBQ Guru.

I have an email into them asking about this.

Dave D
WSM 18.5
NorCal </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave,

I got a new WSM yesterday and installed the BBQ GURU eyelets. I can tell you that yes they fit in the existing screw locations. In addition BOTH probes on the ET-73 will fit through one eyelet.

BE CAREFUL USING THE FLARING TOOL!!! I broke the flaring tool screw in half while installing my 1st eyelet (was going to do a second, but then figured out both probes will fit through one eyelet hole).

Hope this helps you out!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Davis:
Where do you guys place the transmitter for the ET-73 when cooking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It has a bracket and hangs just fine on the top lip of the cooker. You just have to be careful if you take the lid off.

Hey, Dave, and wecome to the party.
I, too, was concerned about the heat of the cooker.
I clip a clothespin (wooden) to the hanger bracket. That provides a nice little standoff, and Bob's your uncle.
Hence,
DSCF0557.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
It has a bracket and hangs just fine on the top lip of the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've done that for three years with the same Maverick with zero issues. I drop the temp probe down the lid and run the food probe under the lid. I was never comfortable with drilling added holes or messing with the brackets. Of course, I can't hammer a nail straight anyway

Another use for wooden clothes pins: I misplaced the clip that came with my Stoker for attaching the temperature probe to the grate. I found a wooden clothes pin that the probe fit through the coil spring, so I use that. Its beginning to look a little charred - when I replace it I think I'll oil the wooden parts to protect them from the heat.

Back