Probes thru eyelets

Took some scrap 2x4 and cut a piece 2.25" off which gave me a piece the perfect size for the Xmiter. Screwed the Xmiter's clip to one side. Got 2 flat magnets with center holes from the checkout at the local hardware and screwed them to the other side.

I went the cheapo route and didn't use any eyelet thingies, just removed one of the upper grate bolts. The support from the other bolts and gookie coating on the inside is more than enough support.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BE CAREFUL USING THE FLARING TOOL!!! I broke the flaring tool screw in half while installing my 1st eyelet (was going to do a second, but then figured out both probes will fit through one eyelet hole).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I read here recently a post from someone who got the wrong size nut with their BBQ Guru flaring tool.

I wonder if this is the problem, as I broke by tool the other week as well.

The nut spun on really easily initially. I installed the first eyelet. The instructions warn you not to overtighten as you'll crack the porcelain. I don't know how you can do that as the tool broke long before then. I got to a point where it was really hard to tighten any more, but the eyelet was still wiggly. I gave up and backed off. Now the nut was very difficult to back off. Apparently, the threads were already destroyed or the tool stretched. I installed the second eyelet on the same support. I got it no where near as tight as I would have liked when the tool snapped.

I wonder if I should bother asking for another tool, or if this is just going to happen again, and my wobbly support is par for the course.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Henderson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> BE CAREFUL USING THE FLARING TOOL!!! I broke the flaring tool screw in half while installing my 1st eyelet (was going to do a second, but then figured out both probes will fit through one eyelet hole).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought I read here recently a post from someone who got the wrong size nut with their BBQ Guru flaring tool.

I wonder if this is the problem, as I broke by tool the other week as well.

The nut spun on really easily initially. I installed the first eyelet. The instructions warn you not to overtighten as you'll crack the porcelain. I don't know how you can do that as the tool broke long before then. I got to a point where it was really hard to tighten any more, but the eyelet was still wiggly. I gave up and backed off. Now the nut was very difficult to back off. Apparently, the threads were already destroyed or the tool stretched. I installed the second eyelet on the same support. I got it no where near as tight as I would have liked when the tool snapped.

I wonder if I should bother asking for another tool, or if this is just going to happen again, and my wobbly support is par for the course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Happened to me as well. Had to go to home improvement and buy similar screw bolt combo. Worked like a charm.

Back