Prime Rib?

Jeff Langer

TVWBB Fan
Every time we are at Sam's my wife mentions cooking a boneless prime rib. These things are like 15 pounds and cost almost $100.

I have been doing a lot of reading and what I have learned is to tie it up, rub it, and cook it to a temp of 130 or so between 225-250. Once it gets to temp pull it, wrap in aluminum, and let it rest for an hour or so.

Anything else I need to know before I decide to take the plunge?

My main fear with expensive roasts like this are overcooking. I would just watch your internal temp close and try to pick seasoning that goes with the beef.

I would cook at a higher temp, about 300-325.

I agree, no benefit to low and slow for this type of meat in my opinion........I pull it out at Medium Rare and let it rest. My wife likes well done; I'll slice hers thin and pan sear to get it well and I can still enjoy mine a little on the rare side.

I agree, no benefit to low and slow for this type of meat in my opinion........I pull it out at Medium Rare and let it rest. My wife likes well done; I'll slice hers thin and pan sear to get it well and I can still enjoy mine a little on the rare side.

Conversely I find that low and slow is the best method for beef rib joints, the low cooking temperature ensures that the meat is evenly cooked throughout. Whereas cooking at higher temperatures the outside of the meat is going to cook faster than the inside, so you'll end up with the outside being well done and the centre being the required doneness.

Low n slow and finish with a sear for me.

Thanks everyone! Still haven't decided if I will cook the prime rib or not! That is a lot of money to feed to the dog!

I've done a couple and both time it's been the best cut of meat I've ever tasted! I've done both mine between 300-325 and a 6 pounder took about 3 hours to get to 130. The best way to cook it even is to make sure it's as round as possible. The last one I did I made it as round as I could and the doneness was even throughout! Good luck and enjoy....it will be money well spent :)

Tim

I roasted a prime rib one time for Christmas. Like others have mentioned I roasted mine at about 350 and watch the internal temp. I used a salt and herb crust. I was fearful it would be too salty, but in cooking, the crust hardens up and then you can crack it up and pull it right off. Had amazing flavor.

I have been doing a lot of reading and what I have learned is to tie it up, rub it, and cook it to a temp of 130 or so between 225-250. Once it gets to temp pull it, wrap in aluminum, and let it rest for an hour or so.

I like mine medium rare. If you took it off at 130 degrees and wrapped it in foil for an hour, it would seriously overcook it ifor me. My husband likes meat medium, so I give him the end cuts (his favorite anyway) and I take more of the inner cuts. I let the meat rest about 20 minutes prior to slicing (you can tent with foil during this time if you want to keep it warm -- I don't but lots of others do) but wrapping it in foil would seriously raise the temperature of the cooked meat.

By the way, the roast at that weight comes out fo $6.66 a pound -- not a bad price. We debated getting one for the 4th at $7.99 a lb. but then decided on a smoked turkey instead. I prefer it cooked on the Weber using indirect heat (after searing, of course) instead of the smoker...

I did a couple of prime ribs like that and then tried using Chris's technique on a beef tenderloin: http://virtualweberbullet.com/beeftenderloin1.html.

I liked the result I got with the tenderloin better, so that is now my go-to meal for special occasions. You can get the tenderloins at Sam's in the $70 range, so it'll save you a little compared to the 15 lb slabs o' beef. The technique is very close to the one you described, with the added step of searing. It is definitely a crowd-pleaser.

I like doing prime rib on the OTG with just salt and pepper rub. Cook it indirect around 350 to internal temp of 120 or so. They usually take 15-20 minutes per pound. I prefer to taste the meat when cooking prime rib and just use a little seasoning to complement the meat. I don't like applying smoke to prime rib. It makes it taste like an expensive hot dog to me. Something about cooking it on the OTG with charcoal makes it come out better to me than roasting it inside in the oven.

Thanks everyone! Still haven't decided if I will cook the prime rib or not! That is a lot of money to feed to the dog!

Don't hesitate - this is an easy cook. I like the relatively low temp with a sear approach, myself, but as long as you use a meat thermometer you'll be sure to end up with some mighty fine eating.

Back