Prime Rib

Mike Gray

TVWBB Super Fan
So a few months back I committed to making prime rib for dinner around the holidays. With both sets of parents in town for Christmas and the kids birthdays tomorrow, today ended up being the perfect day. Never made prime rib before and was a little worried I would butcher an expensive piece of beef.

Nervous or not I forged on and found a nice bone in rib roast at Costco and seasoned it with some Penzeny English Prime Rib Rub. It was about a 6.5 pound roast which ended up being perfect for 6 adults and a couple of kids.

Rub_zps1466cdbf.jpg

Rubbed

Seasoned_zpsb7955d30.jpg

Seasoned2_zps66158591.jpg

Some how with all the cooking and entertaining I didn't manage to get a single shot of the prime rib on the smoker. It cooked at 345 for about 3 hours and finished at 125 degrees. I rested it for about 20 minutes and sliced it and it looked perfect. By the time it was served it was a little past medium rare for my taste, but my mother in law love things well done. I had to take some time to sear a slice in the cast iron skillet until it was well past dead. It hurt my heart to do it, but she won't each anything unless it's really really really well done. *Sigh*

Sliced

sliced_zps4cc8086f.jpg

Sliced2_zps6be416d0.jpg

Final plate with some mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts with pancetta. I ended up with a half a piece from the middle and a half a piece from the outside with all the rub. Very good for a first attempt.

Plate_zps01c461cd.jpg

Will have to do this again and will like use a little more rub.

Thanks for looking!

Mike

Mike, you did an OUTSTANDING job with this, Looks PERFECT!
and i can understand the "hurt my heart to do it" cuz i've been there, hated it too;)
butt, your mom-in-law when home happy and stuffed with a great dinner! GOOD FOR YOU!!!
Merry Christmas to the GRAY Family!

Looks great, Mike!! Just got my first WSM and this is one of the things on my list to smoke! Can't wait! How did the seasoning taste on the meat? I don't see any horseradish? No need?

Nice job! It looked great, that rub looks good too.
I know the feeling about being nervous during a cook, the pressure, but you totally pulled it off!

Mike that looks perfect and exactly the way I like it. I feel your pain. My youngest son has the same tastes as your MIL.

Looks great, Mike!! Just got my first WSM and this is one of the things on my list to smoke! Can't wait! How did the seasoning taste on the meat? I don't see any horseradish? No need?

Funny thing is, we had a whole conversation about horseradish and the fact that we didn't have any. In the end, we didn't need it. As for the seasoning, it was really flavorful. On first taste, before applying to the roast I thought it might by salty, but I applied it fairly heavily and in the end I wish I added more. I will be using that rub again.

Meat looks just fine. Penzeys needs to make a donation to this site for all the advertising.

Superb job, Mike. And kudos to you for being a good sport about having to overcook some of it to satisfy your mother-in-law. Nothing disapponts me more than having to overcook a great piece of beef to appease somebody who won't eat anything more tender than a hockey puck.

Back