Prime Rib - WSM or Kettle Rotisserie?

John B

TVWBB Pro
I want to do a prime rib this winter, and I am considering the WSM or a Weber rotisserie that I will be buying for my kettle soon. I know the WSM can cook anything well, but part of me wants to play with the new toy.

Anyone have experience with both doing prime rib? Which was better? I haven't done one on either at this point, so I am a rookie with this cut.

I've never tried a rotisserie, but after doing a few rib roasts on the top rack of the WSM - all of which turned out great - I can't imagine a rotiss would be noticeably better.

Would a full 7-bone roast even fit on the 18 inch WSM? Maybe that's how you can rationalize the new toy.

I'd agree with Carl. I don't have a rotis, but have done a few on the WSM. Can't imagine anything being better.

A couple weeks ago I cooked a standing rib roast on the kettle with a rotisserie. The roast was very tasty.

The next one I cook will most likely be on the WSM. There are two reasons: 1. I like to compare and 2. I control temperatures better on the WSM than I do on the kettle. The next one will be for our annual Christmas Eve get-together so I want it to cook between 200-225. My kettle was at 300 most of the cook.

Having said that, a rotisserie cook, as far as I can tell will be no worse than on the WSM. With it self-basting, it could be juicier. I am not convinced it will be.

Cook either way and enjoy the results.
icon_smile.gif

I always cooked them on my kettle without a rotisserie before I bought my WSM. I'll cook them either way now based on what kind of mood I'm in.

Back