Prime Rib Thermodynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Parizo

TVWBB Member
Chris -- your new Prime Rib home page is an inspiration! Thanks!

In reading the recipes, I came across:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Remember that all large roasts continue to cook and rise in temperature after they come off the cooker... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How is that possible? Where does the heat come from?

Curious,

Doug

The meat loads up with heat and will hold it for a while if sealed or tented with foil.
The large the piece the more heat it will load up with. This is the reason if you have a target finish temp you want to pull off the cooker 5 to 10 degress before you hit it.
Jim

Doug, the outside of the meat is at a higher temp (close to the temp of the grill) than the center of the meat. As that heat transfers and equalizes throughout the meat...the temp inside increases (and the outside meat temp will drop).There is no net gain in heat energy-just a transfer and equalization.

Doug,

Thanks for the post. Jim and Steve have given you the right answers.

Also thanks for the post. You have no idea how self conscious I was feeling about this post:

Probablistic BBQ model

Now that you're discussing Prime Rib Thermodynamics I don't feel quite as bad about being a geek.

Don't worry Rob...
"I remember when I had my first beer".
icon_rolleyes.gif
you have to be a fan of very early Steve Martin to get the reference... sorry.

Hi All

In Cook's Illustrated they talk about the rise in temp during resting of prime rib cooked at different temps.i.e. cooked @ 200° the rise was only 1° during a 45 min. rest ...cooked @ 325°-350° a 14°rise and the roast cooked @ 450° rose 24°

Al

The lower the cooking temp, the less temp rise you will get after removing the meat. We talked about this with turkeys.. 400 deg oven vs 250 - 300 deg WSM.

Thanks everyone for explaing that. I totally get it now.

And, in this era of poor writing, I'd like to nominate Steve for a "Clear Writer Award."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Doug, the outside of the meat is at a higher temp (close to the temp of the grill) than the center of the meat. As that heat transfers and equalizes throughout the meat...the temp inside increases (and the outside meat temp will drop).There is no net gain in heat energy-just a transfer and equalization. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a beautiful paragraph. Thanks Steve.

Doug, a little bit of knowledge is often dangerous...I wish I had 1/10 of Jim's knowledge and experience.

The things that I learn on this message board never ceases to amaze me! Thanks for the info.
Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back