Prime Rib for Chrismas - suggestions?

RKHanso

TVWBB Fan
Prime Rib for Christmas - suggestions?

I bought a prime rib at a local grocery store. It's about 6.5 lb. It has 3 ribs bones, I think.
Going to serve about 12 people. First, I'm hoping it'll be enough. I'm not sure how much waste is in something like this. We are also planning on grilling some large un-cooked shrimp.

Then, I didn't know if it's best to grill it or put it in the smoker. My heatermeter is easily used with either my Weber grill or my homemade smoker.

I've done some reading online. Some people say to not cook it slow. Other websites say it's OK. I've made it once before in an oven and it turned out OK. I thought I'd try it outside this year.

Oh, I live in MN and it's going to be cold. I'm not sure what the Christmas temperature forecast is yet.

The butcher at the grocery store said 350 F for an hour per pound, or internal temp of 130-135F. He said he's never cooked it on a grill.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
This probably not the right forum section for this.

I did one a long time ago and smoked it. It turned out great. If I remember I cut slits in it and stuffed every other slit with a sliver of garlic and and then the other slit I had fresh herbs(cant remember which herb, though) and something tells me that I had morels stuffed in some of the slits also and I smoked it and finished in high heat to get a crust

I think you've got a small roast for serving 12 people. I usually spec mine at 1 bone = 2 people. At 300F you're looking at around 20 minutes per pound for a medium cook.

I've done several on my Kamado Joe and will be doing another one soon on Christmas Eve.

I doubt a 3 bone roast will feed 12. I did a big 2 bone, and 4 of us polished it all off except for 1 slice.

I use Penzey's English Prime Rib seasoning, smoked at 250 to an internal temp of 125-130 for an almost perfect rare to medium rare, end to end. Even the end cuts were perfect.

I live half way between the Twin Cities & Rochester, and smoke on an Oklahoma Joe style horizontal offset smoker year 'round. IIRC, you've got a Kamado style, you shouldn't have any problems.

BTW, you do have a Costco within reach. I don't bother buying standing rib roasts or briskets anywhere else anymore, between price & quality, I just won't go anywhere else.

Thanks for the input.

I'm using a homemade smoker and my HeaterMeter. I'll use indirect heat and hardwood charcoal. Should I use a pan with water below the roasts?

I have 2 prime ribs. One is 6.5lb and the other is 5.5lb. I'd like the larger done medium rare and the smaller one done medium. If I cook them at 325F until the larger roast is 125F internal, about how long should that take? Everywhere I saw online says 12-18 minute per pound. I'm assuming that since I have 2 separate roasts, I should plan on them being done in about 2 hours? That seems pretty quick to me, but I've not done this before. So - about 3 hours total (1/2 hr to get it to or close to room temp, 2 hours to cook and 1/2 hour to rest loosely wrapped in foil.

I'm hoping that the smaller roast will be just a bit more done (medium-ish) simply due to the size difference. But, with the HeaterMeter, I can monitor both of their internal temps at the same time.

I also bought some super large shrimp from Costco today and plan on making that with the Prime Rib. I plan on soaking in olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon and then grilling with the shell on for a couple minutes per side, or until done.

I've never used a water pan with beef. Does help with pork & fowl, though. Doesn't mean you can't, might help both with humidity as well as temp control.

Personally, 325 degrees would be closer to roasting than smoking, albeit a slow roast. I smoke prime rib around 250. I start 'em early, and have no problem keeping them warm in either a slow oven, or a slowed down smoker (wrapped in foil.)

No reason you can't smoke both at the same time. Use separate probes and pull each one when it's done. If you have a warmer end on the cooking chamber, put the larger one there.

Should be some awfully good roast by the time you're done.

You'll never serve 12 people with a 3 bone standing rib roast. Figure two people per bone - if your lucky. I would buy the whole roast to serve 12 & have some left over for breakfasts throughout the week. It will shrink. I personally prefer my standing rib roast cooked traditionally, not smoked. When I buy a rib roast I buy a USDA PRIME rib roast. This grade of meat, requires no special treatment and usually finishes wonderfully tender and delicious. Here's how to cook it in an oven:

preheat oven to 500 degrees. Put roast in oven at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce temperature to 325 and cook 13-15 minutes per pound. Remove from oven and tent with foil when internal temperature reaches 125 degrees. Let rest for 15-20 minutes. This will produce a medium rare doneness.

Im very much against smoking a standing rib roast. I love BBQ else I wouldn't be here but to me this is taboo and I never really liked it smoked anyhow. Also, don't grill your shrimp. Grilled shrimp is always dry shrimp. Sorry to be such a downer tonight.

Happy holidays and good luck.

The only thing taboo is telling someone how they should or shouldn't cook their food!
But, I did ask....

Most places I see online say to cook at 300-325 so I'll probably go with that. And will plan on 15-18 min per pound. Since I have 2 roasts, I'll plan on about 1.5 - 2 hours for the larger roast (6.5lb). The smaller roast at 5.5lb should definitely be done in that same time, but I'll also watch it's temp. I'll put the cook on the cooking thread here.

The shrimp is definitely going on the BBQ though. They are going to be good. 6-8 shrimp per pound, shells on, coated in olive oil and salt and a touch of sugar and bunched up together on skewers while cooking.

You're a bit cooler there. It's a bit breezy here, and with light drizzle, I'm not smoking or grilling today. A Kamado style would probably run fine, I'd expect to go through a lot of charcoal in mine.

FYI... I got your page to come up once, but now it seems to be timing out. Traceroute shows it going through Qwest's St. Paul gateway, and 1 more [unresolvable] hop, and nothing beyond.

I was having Firewall/network problems. Why does that have to happen on Christmas Day? Well, I finally got that fixed.

It started raining pretty good, but I still did get the grill adjusted to cook at 325 and then raised it to 335 a little before they reached the proper temp.

The food turned out really good. The Prime Rib was really tender. I took them off about the same time. The larger one at 125F and the smaller one at 136F. Let them sit for 30 minutes.

The shrimp were really good. I have a fuel basket at the bottom of the smoker that I put a grill grate directly on top of it. I then use a pan or other device to block the heat for indirect heating of the Prime Rib. When the Prime Rib was done, I removed the top grate and then the lower pan and cooked the shrimp right on the grate on top of the fuel basket. It cooked them really quick. The temp probe said about 425-450F.

All-in-all, a successful Christmas meal.

Sorry, no pictures. Was too busy cooking....

Back