Prime Brisket Problem

Tom Chips

TVWBB All-Star
DSCF1476.jpg

So I mentioned in Brandon's Wet aging thread that I was going to buy some good quality beef at this place here in SF. I dropped in without calling, and being that they were a big commercial place, they didn't have everything available in brisket, on hand then. I guess next time I'm supposed to give them about a 3 day notice, and they can have anything from Kobe from Japan, to about anything else, ready for me.

So, I ended up walking out with two Prime briskets from Niemen Ranch, a real good supplier that apparently uses no hormones or antibiotics, and humanly raises and slaughters the cows. They both look wonderful, and weigh in at a total of 34 pounds. Normally they sell the CABs for about $3.81/lb. They sold me this for $3.86/lb. Probably not bad for Prime, but I haven't shopped around. My problem is this, I wanted to do a brisket that I docked or injected with FAB. But I don't think this is appropriate with a Prime. I definitely need to research the forums.

So I stopped by Smart and Final and picked up a no roll packer, to do that original plan. Is there any problem with freezing the prime briskets? I have them chilling out in the fridge for now. And I plan on getting the no roll started in a bit, unless I read anything inspiring on here. I'd appreciate any tips or advice as far as storing the primes. They probably wont get cooked for at least 2 weeks or more, if I don't use one tonight.

I would not dock the Primes (but I don't believe in docking any briskets that are set to be Q'd--I do realize you're experimenting, however).

They will be fine to freeze but if you do so, don't stack one upon the other from the get-go; freeze apart from each other so that they freeze most quickly.

Alternatively, since they are cryo'd, freeze neither and let them wet-age, or freeze one and wet-age the other. If you can keep the Prime(s) at a low enough temp--a good, stable fridge temp is fine--then wet-aging is an option.

Thanks Kevin. Then that's what I will do. I will freeze one, now for sure, since I wont be able to cook and eat 3 16 lb briskets in the next two weeks.

The other prime will chill out in the bottom of the fridge till probably early October. I just lowered the temp as low as it will go.

The no roll packer that I was planning to dock, was simply to save a bit of time versus injecting. I don't know if it will make a difference or not. Perhaps a bit of both. I don't really know if its going to matter in the long run. But it will be fun to play with.

I'm surprised at the amount of fat I will have to trim off the primes. Over an inch and maybe an inch and a half in most areas. I wont trim them too much though. I wish there was something I could do with the trimmings though.

If the brisket is large you can tuck the fat under the ends that protrude neareast the grill edges to protect them from the heat (as opposed to foil). Aternatively, you can mince the fat (partially freeze first and either use a knife or a processor) and render then brown it along with duxelles, with a splash of flamed cognac, for a stuffing for pastry (great little app) or to mix with minced vegs and leaner minced meat as a veg stuffing (like ripe bell peppers), or something along those lines. You need not discard it--and you can freeze it till you're ready to do something with it, too.

Cool, I have the Cognac! I will save the trimmings then.

So, I have gone thru about 10 different threads under a search of prime brisket, and am getting a general feel for what people are finding with them. I read that they cook quicker.

Is it ok to do these with a high heat method? I don't want to waste all the internal fat, if it renders too quick.

I do not cook Primes at high temps. I think they are better cooked at low temps (lower than typical low/slow). I also think it is worthwhile (though not essential) to pull them pre-tender and let them slowly finish wrapped and resting. You can go to tender and then rest much more briefly, but expect it to happen at lower temps and so check earlier than you might normally check.

My problem with Prime anything is that I cant find it!
icon_mad.gif
icon_razz.gif
Man, I'd really like to see that prime stamp on meat around here... I should get that for a tattoo, lol....the usda prime sheild.

Brandon

I just ground up a batch of Kevin's Coffee Rub. I didn't have any ginger or cardamon, so I substituted about 1T of Jerk Seasoning from Penzey's that has ginger as a primary ingredient. Good Lord it smells good. I'm thinking of using mustard to hold the rub in place. I have always liked the bark I get using plain mustard. I was tempted to wait till tomorrow till I could get to TJ's and pick up some dried mushrooms, but that version will have to wait.

Since I have the day off tomorrow as well, I will likely set my alarm to get up at 8, turn the brisket fat side down and apply the rub, maybe a quick trip to the freezer while I preheat the WSM.I think I'm going to foil my wood chunks as well. I don't like the billowing white smoke for 30 minutes followed by nothing. I think I keep using too much wood since I'm usually adding more at least once in the cook.

Now I'm wondering if I could grind up some dried Piquin Chili's that I have, since I don't have any Aleppo pepper? I would think that the long cook time would cook off a good deal of the heat, but I'm not sure. I don't mind spicy hot, just not something that is ridiculously hot IE habaneros, etc.

Yes, temps sound right. I don't do these often (mostly on the road, where I have better access to Prime), but that's worked for me. This came up in a conversation I had with Minion a couple years ago and, iirc, he'd settled on lower cooktemps as well. He cooks Wagyu pretty much all the time. I don't think he's changed his approach.

The piquin will mellow over time. Still, what you get mostly out of piquin is heat, not so much flavor. If you've got it, make a blend of guajillo-piquin or cascabel-piquin as a sub. (But do get some Aleppo. Too tasty not to have around.)

Perhaps I should start a new topic but this one created a couple of questions from me. What does it mean to "Dock" a brisket and I know what a packer is but what is a "No Roll Packer".
Thanks

Docking is really more of a baking term that means 'to poke holes in'. It is often used to refer to the same process when working with meat. It is done to allow better marinade penetration or, if done more deeply and/or severely, to cut the muscle fibers. This latter definition is also referred to as Jaccarding or 'to Jaccard', an eponym from the manufacturer of a device that does this.

No roll refers to beef that is ungraded.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Docking is really more of a baking term that means 'to poke holes in'. It is often used to refer to the same process when working with meat. It is done to allow better marinade penetration or, if done more deeply and/or severely, to cut the muscle fibers. This latter definition is also referred to as Jaccarding or 'to Jaccard', an eponym from the manufacturer of a device that does this.

No roll refers to beef that is ungraded. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Might as well explain what FAB is. I looked it up as best I could and just found arguements, or discussions, of it's use in comps.
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7980069052/m/9900009694/p/1

Is it just an MSG+something-or-other injection?

What about benefits/problems with "no roll"?

Sorry Tom, just have to get a few things straight in my head to follow this.

FAB, then scroll down for the ingredients.

Not all packers pay for grading of all their meat. Also, some may be graded and the sections most sold as graded (steaks, tender roasts) labled as such, other cuts not. No benefits or problems necessarily; it will at least be Select or better.

I'm about to go get the WSM fired up. I flipped the no roll back onto fat side down in the tub, and instead of using mustard, the FAB had thickened enough to provide a nice substrate for the rub to adhere to. So, rubbed with Kevin's Coffee Rub, and back in to chill till its ready to go on the fire. I have turbinado sugar, but I haven't used it on this rub. Thinking about it though. I might trim the flata bit, I really detest having to fold it up to make it fit o the WSM. God I can't wait for the 22 to show up.

Which are you using? The coffee-cocoa? If so, the one in the OP or the modded one below? I don't often use sugar with beef. When I do it's usually light. In the rubs noted it's there to balance the acidity of the coffee and cocoa.

Don't fold it. Just wedge the ends between the handles (use foil or fat under those ends to protect from direct heat). Let it bow up in the middle. It will shrink and flatten as it cooks.

It was one that you made with a two part method, first a wet rub, then a dry rub that started with a T of coffee. No cocoa.

I never thought of letting it bow up in the center, all the problems I have had were because the flats were to thick to properly roll under, by the handles, without the center bowing up. I will remember that for next time. On this one, I cut off the point end, and will lay it along side the flat.

Side door is open, and temps are climbing. Meat will go on in just a few. I'm happy with the look of this no roll, the whole flat is a very consistent size with very little tapper.

Next time I wont worry about the bowing in the center. I was afraid originally that it might cook like that, and ruin the appearance.

The the pic of the packer on the grate here, with the foiled ends. It was bowed up rather well when it started, then shrunk.

Ah, that rub. Yup, no sugar there. Not much coffee nor chile and plenty of sweet spices and herbs.

Oh, well mine wont shrink now that I have the FAB. Ha Ha, just kidding
icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I was tempted to up the coffee amount, but since I had already tweaked it(not having the alleppo,ginger, or coriander) it really is not going to be true to the original recipe. I think most importantly, I liked what I tasted. Prior to going to bed, I added about 2t of chipotle powder, and 1t of cayenne. I love heat as long as it has flavor and builds gradually. Few things give the sense of eating well, as the gentle burn that lasts for 10 minutes after eating something.

The jerk seasoning from Penzeys is the one of the things that I feel helped this rub stand out. The rub now has an exotic sweet almost floral spiciness. I'm eager to see what it tastes like after several hours of smoke and heat.

Right now the lid temp is about 280 with all vents wide open, so I'm tempted to flip my door again to bump it. Pics will definitely follow.

Back