Price to charge?

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
Friends,

I'm about to experience my first "for pay" smoke of butts for a small crowd. My kids' elementary has asked me to smoke Q for the staff end of year party, 60-65 people. I know how much pork I'll need, what to expect as a yield, what my sauce will cost, etc. What I don't know is a fair price to charge. I don't want to gouge, but I would like a fair exchange. Pricing by cost doesn't seem reasonable, so I'm thinking about a price per person. Any suggestions on what a fair price per person would be? Hopefully any answers will reflect experience smoking for a fee. Thanks all.

I would estimate my expenses, including the charcoal and wood for the fire. Add what you think your time is worth and if you would like to charge by person, divided the number of people you think you can serve by the total expense plus your charge for time.

Cost x 3.

So, if total costs are 250, then 250 x 3 = $750. $750 / 65 = $11.50 per person.

Query - Are you licensed? Insured? Incorporated? (It's the attorney in me coming out...)

A lot of caterers charge per person. Depending on whether or not you are just serving pork or doing sides as well is what I would base my price on. You can easily look on line for general prices, or call a local caterer to get a rough idea of charges

Query - Are you licensed? Insured? Incorporated? (It's the attorney in me coming out...)

This the first question that needs to be asked/answered.

Someone gets sick because of what they bought from you? What about proper heating/food storage, wash up stations, etc etc.

This has been discussed many times on this forum. Dont ignore or 'pooh pooh' these concerns.

This the first question that needs to be asked/answered.

Someone gets sick because of what they bought from you? What about proper heating/food storage, wash up stations, etc etc.

This has been discussed many times on this forum. Dont ignore or 'pooh pooh' these concerns.

Somebody chokes on a bone and keels over...you may be working for free for the rest of your life.

Len is correct -- this is no joke.

Cost x 3.

You're right, but isn't the town more likely to get sued? Good thought and I agree that's a concern. Get a waiver of liability.
Charge $9 per cooked pound IMO

Last edited:
Cost x 3.

+1, make sure all your paper work is in order.

just want to ask...
what if you did it for free? if the school purchased the meat and charcoal, etc. and you just cooked it for them would the same liability issues arise? I ask because the same issue might be coming up for me soon.

I'm an attorney and I know what I am talking about, but what you read in my posts is NOT legal advice and should not be considered as such.

Bottom line if somebody eats food he cooks and gets injured / sick / turns into a toad, etc, then everybody is going to get sued and he with the deepest pockets may be left holding the bag. I am not going to try type out a treatise here on agency law and negligence, but suffice it to say that before you offer up your services to the general public you would be well served getting all proper licenses, insurance and a little thing called incorporation which puts a layer of protection between the plaintiff and your personal assets.

Good luck!

Its a meam world out there now! What if you were cooking a normal kitchen Christmas lunch for a large crowd! But I can see where u guys are coming from! My local pub puts on a free bbq every Saturday afternoon and sunday night! thing is on Saturdays to keep the costs down any one can volunteer to cook! Seen some good and some raw cooks!

By the way, my cousin Hal lives in Black Mountain just outside of Asheville. I GOTTA make it down there sometime for the hiking!!!

Thomas, after all these "legal" and scary responses.... i'd forget the entire deal. And walk away.
May not be worth all the hassle.

Now I feel bad. :(

I'm not trying to discourage him, just raising issues to consider.

If you need me, I'll be under my rock....crying.

Sniff sniff...

Cost x 3.

Exactly!! Its not gouging when you put all that time into making them delicious food. Cost X3 is the standard among caterers.

Thomas, after all these "legal" and scary responses.... i'd forget the entire deal. And walk away.
May not be worth all the hassle.

I agree. Actually, I'm surprised a school is even considering this. Unless catering is a goal of yours, and getting insured, licensed, etc. is worth it to you, I'd skip this liability nightmare.

Now I feel bad. :(

I'm not trying to discourage him, just raising issues to consider.

If you need me, I'll be under my rock....crying.

Sniff sniff...
no way Jeff... I get it, I understand what you mean... with all the BS flying around with folks suing folks for merely no daggumgood reason at all, it ain't worth the pain and or trouble.
one of the reasons I stopped tending bar...too many folks getting screwed up afterwards and saying "Oh, I was drinking over there where they (over)served me..."

it's just too risky now and the only way around it is to invite friends and family and serve dinner free like it's your picnic.

Holy cow you all need to lay off the Rush Limbaugh .. Not everyone is looking to sue every time they get the runs ... Cook it for them and charge them a proper going rate see what a local bbq joint charges for an entire butt... Prime bbq a team that's on bbq pitmasters has there butts (shoulder whole)listed for 60 each online... Just depends if you're looking to make a killing or some beer money.

Holy cow you all need to lay off the Rush Limbaugh .. Not everyone is looking to sue every time they get the runs ... Cook it for them and charge them a proper going rate see what a local bbq joint charges for an entire butt... Prime bbq a team that's on bbq pitmasters has there butts (shoulder whole)listed for 60 each online... Just depends if you're looking to make a killing or some beer money.

While I totally agree not everyone is looking to sue, it only takes one person and you are in trouble. Growing up my family was a host for a OM team (some after school thing for teams to try to build structures/solve problems for a competition). Some of the kids we're playing tag, one fell and got hurt. Instead of chalking it up to kids play and just going to the dentist to fix the kids tooth, the kid's family sued the entire school system and everyone involved. In the end it was settled, but lesson learned is it only takes one instance of bad luck and you can be in a world of hurt.

I do agree though, also living always worried about being sued, etc. is no way to go through life and the situation here is a tough call. You could at least form a quick LLC and run it through that for a small layer of protection as Jeff suggested.

Daum

Back