Price of brisket flat at Costco

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I went to Costco today to pick up a brisket flat to test out my Maverik-733. Looked at the price and it was 6.79 a pound!!! That's rib roast territory. And I remember just last year paying around 3.00 a pound for a flat. What's the deal? Why is that piece of meat so expensive??

Didn't matter, I bought a rib roast and will cook that. Seems the only good cheap beef to buy are chuck roasts, otherwise may as well buy my favorite rib roasts...

Anyone have any thoughts on the price of brisket flats?

Last edited:
It might be something with my cooking but I've done a few flats from Costco and they've come out tough and dry. Not super tough but a lot tougher than I'd like.

i thought it was outrageous as well. its 6.49 around here. its 4.99 a lb at wegmans. finally found a packer at the local walmart at 2.38 a lb. who woulda guessed...

Yeah, I am really starting to be disappointed with the Costco meats, they are definitely over trimmed, and even the Spares are trimmed down to St. Louis, which means I don't have the flap meat for my beans... My rib roast was great but not enough fat rendered to make a good au jus.

Where else can you buy good meats?

j

I'm going to speak up in "defense" of Costco meats. Their Baby Back ribs are the best I have ever had - the price seems competitive. I prefer St. Louis cut ribs over spares but YMMV, of course. I have had excellent results with their Boston Butts, also but have also done well on both price and quality on Bone in Boston Butts at GFS. Frankly, I take a look and if on that particular day things don't meet with my approval, then I move on to some place else.

Costco's seafood is some of the best I have seen ANYWHERE. My favorites are Wild Alaskan Salmon and Wild Steelhead. However, I have been known to shop at more than one store. No one has the best quality and price all of the time. So, it pays to check around and Stay Alert!

I have bought less beef since the drought - as long as pork is so good and costs so much less, I find myself passing up the beef with their outrageous prices on most things. Again, it pays to Stay Alert! and when a good buy presents itself, jump on it.-

YMMV,
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

No argument about Costco meats as a whole. I really don't buy meat anywhere else. But $7/lb for a trimmed flat is crazy when I can get Rib roast for less than $2 more a lb. Which I did and it was great.

I didn't know about the drought so that explains quite a bit regarding the price. The other concern was the over trimming of the meat. Maybe I just got a butcher on a bad day, but after smoking my rib roast for almost 4 hours at 225 or so I had almost no au jus. I would have liked to have cut the fat off myself...

That said I am still going to buy my meats from Costco, just not brisket flats.

Back